Minutes February 2021

Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo

Tuesday 9th February 2021,

Finance Committee meeting: 6.45pm on Zoom
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Clive Stainton (CS),
Sarah Eynon (SE);

Finance sheet had been circulated to all cllrs. Meeting started 6.45pm

1. To accept apologies for absence. None.
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
None
3. Consider minutes of previous meeting
All were happy with the minutes.
4. Finance
Nat West Business Current account: 30.01.21 £ 24,681.52
Nat West Business Reserve account: 30.01.21 £ 78,580.48
4.1. To consider outstanding invoices
CT Groundcare: – January work £ 110.00
Mr & Mrs BE Chance (Rec loo cleaning) £ 465.00
Cherry Tree Developments (fixing of bins) £ 522.00
Glasdon (Bin support) £ 79.21
Herefordshire Council (kissing gate) £ 308.09
D Roden drainage work (inv 28,29 and 30) £13,367.10
Balfour Beatty (SID base installation) £ 480.00
Re issue of cheque to Mrs E Overstall £ 52.34
HALC affiliation and subs for 2021/22 £ 734.32
Resolution: to pay the above invoices.
Proposed: Seconded:
Action: Clerk.to fill in the Cheque request form and forward to CS to write the cheques, PJ to sign
Recommend Payment all in agreement.

Grants for consideration: Phone Kiosk and memorial hall.

4.2. To approve regular payments schedule and Direct Debits
Clerks salary and expenses;.

It was resolved to agree to all of these payments.

Proposed: CS Seconded:SE All were in agreement.
Each item was looked at as a separate item.

Action: Clerk to action these agreed payments

Clerk to contact Abbydore parish council
4.3. Acknowledgment of Receipts:
Monies received: third covid payment for Pavilion: £ 6,001.00
Drainage grant money has now been received £ 4,602.40

5. To raise matters for the next agenda:
Grass cutting on the rec. Discussion about re tendering for grass cutting on the rec for the coming year.
Recommendation of the committee is to roll on the CT Ground Care contract for another year.

6. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 9th March 2021

Meeting closed at 7pm

Parish Council meeting: 7.05pm on Zoom.

Minutes

Meeting started: 7.02
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Alex Culpin (AC) from 7.20pm; Malcolm Watkins (MW); Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg); Liz Overstall (LO) Clive Stainton (CS), Sally Probert (SP); Sarah Eynon (SE);
Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk), Carey Godwin; Ann and Roger Bradley (all 3 left the meeting at 7.40);

1. To accept apologies for absence.
Stephen Clayton; Connor Price (CP);

2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
MWg– is working with the Lengthsman doing the road works, so he is working with the Lengthsman as a private individual including the hiring of him as a labourer and he has many machines that are of great asset to the jobs undertaken.

All cllrs were happy with this position.

SP expressed an interest in item 14. She will leave the meeting for this item.
MW expressed an interest in one of the payments, so he did not vote on item 11.2

3. 1 To consider minutes of the previous meeting – 12.01.21
All were in agreement that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting.
Proposed: CS Seconded: MW All were in favour.

3.2 Matters arising: open forum
Matters arising actioned or on the agenda apart from: Kissing gate on Pontrilas Court Farm ; This is now with Balfour Beatty, and we can have it once payment has been made. KC keys – MWg will get the lock removed and replaced for the back door, his son in law will do this for the PC at a maximum of £50. The PC was in favour of this expenditure;
Action: MWg to get the lock changed.

3.3 Matters raised between meetings
Footpaths – Erosion on the path to Castle Lands – the land owner has been approached, he was unaware of the problem, but he will get it sorted out (perhaps with the help of the lengthsman).

4 Open forum for public comments
None made.

5 To receive brief reports from:
5.1 the Ward Councillor/PC Chair.
Chair is still pursuing the flooding issues. He is working with the drainage officer on this.
Welsh Water have got signs up beyond the fire station, so he believes work is starting down there.
Sand bags have now all been used, the PC resolved that rather than providing more, they will supply information on alternatives to sandbags ie flood defences, various options were discussed but the NFU as an info sheet on this and the PC hoped to utilise their expertise in this area.
Website: are we getting value for money from our website provider? Clerk to look at where the parish maps are hidden on the website.
Action: Clerk to check that the footpath maps are on our website.
Broadband: the chair has been talking with Gigaclear about their coverage to Ewyas Harold, where they say they will be next year.

5.2 from PCSO – none received.

5.3 from footpath officer – None offered this month due to our officers ill health. The EHGPC sends all best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.
Action: clerk to send a card from the PC.

6 Planning
6.1 To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
210101 – Spring cottage, Walterstone Common Rd, Walterstone: To erect a single storey ‘Border Oak’ timber framed annex as ancillary accommodation .
This is not with in our group of parishes, but it is close to us.
There are no objections to this applications, and it was decided not to submit a comment. All were in favour of not commenting.

6.2 To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council:
203950: St Michaels Hall, Ewyas Harold: Ewyas Harold; proposed installation of a 12.5 meter pole and various cabinets in association. Approved.

204487; Land East of Callowside, Ewyas Harold Amendments to conditions:
Approved.

Application by Pontrilas Timber: The Chair commented as Ward Cllr about light pollution, water run off etc as concerns that he hoped the planners would address.

7 Recreation ground/pavilion: Update on the rec, Pavilion and play area.
Grass cutting for the coming season had been discussed and it was resolved to approach the current contractor to continue for the coming year as he did last year. Clerk to check if he is happy to maintain the same prices as last year, then re issue his contract.
MW has been down regularly to check on the buildings and play area. Livestock on the rec have been reported on a number of occasions, he has talked with the adjacent farmer who has agreed to look at his fencing.
There is still woodchip to be taken from the car park area – this will be put onto facebook.
The broken windows have now been boarded up on the old cricket pavilion.
Playground replacement parts have been ordered, but will take some weeks to come from Europe.
Action; MWg and lengthsman to spread the scalping’s in the car park when they have time.

8 Lengthsman – to receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish.
MWg explained that they have been very busy doing the drainage work around the parish.
Salt bins need to be refilled in Rowlestone and Dark Lane – this was passed onto the lengthsman to be done.
Drainage grant usage was discussed and the amount of the remaining grant will be passed to the lengthsman for use towards work at the Wigga.
Action: Clerk to apply for the drainage grant when the invoices are authorised.

9 Kemble Centre
CS told the meeting that there had been a KC working group meeting last night, good progress was reported. It was hoped that the copy of the lease should be with ACCC’s solicitor by the end of the week. It was also confirmed that our mortgage lender has confirmed that we can let the property under our mortgage agreement.
VAT issues on claiming it back have been directed to HALC and we await their advice.

10 Community Resilience Plan
CP hopes to have a first meeting of the CRP working group next week.

11 Finance
11.1. Balance as in the Finance Committee minutes
11.2. To authorise payments to be made: As in the finance minutes.
Proposed:PJ Seconded: CS
Action: Clerk to make the payments

11.3. To authorise regular payments: As in the finance minutes.
Proposed to make these payments: all in agreement.
Action: Clerk to make these payments.

11.4. Monies received: None.

11.5 Grant requests for consideration.

Memorial Hall grant application: applied for a grant to assist with the replacement of their kitchen – a key step for them to be able to rent out the venue in the future. They had submitted their grant application forms prior to the last meeting and had provided further information for this meeting. Total project cost will be £63,000. They have a shortfall in funding of approx. £15,000.
They are struggling to get 3 quotes in for the build, despite approaching 12 builders.
Alternative funding has been sourced, and they are hopeful that there might be assistance from Awards for All.
There was a discussion about the charitable status of the hall, so that they could reclaim the VAT themselves – currently they can not do this.
Clerk has asked HALC for their advice on this, procurement and reclaiming VAT.
The Chair agreed that the PC were keen to help with the project – but at this time it was hard to identify how much this would be. He said that the PC would take this away and discuss it further.

Phone Box grant application: Form had been circulated to all cllrs prior to the meeting. £1,700 was requested. A question was raised as to the cost of the project – it had been thought that the project was being done by volunteers. It was clarified that there is a specific paint for telephone kiosk, and the replacement of the windows. Volunteers will do the sanding down and prep for the painter to do her stuff.
ACCC was asked to get 3 quotes for the work that needs to be done.
It was suggested that the EHGPC owned the phone box, and we had a responsibility to maintain it – it was proposed that we should do this.

Action: clerk to receive the quotes from Carey at ACCC, to check that we have followed due diligence.

12 Roads including: Road safety improvements:
Cheque raised for the base to be put in place. BB asked to liaise with SP for exact location before they put it in!
Actions: Clerk to contact BB ref the placement.

13 Flooding in the village.
Already covered.
Provision of sand bags will stop from the PC, it was thought to be better to provide people with flood resilience products information.
Action: MW to forward info to AC for the facebook page.

14 Assisting dog owners with their responsibilities
All bins are now in place. The PC have received a quote to get them emptied every week (or more often if necessary) at £25/week.
It was resolved to accept the quote.
Proposed: PJ Seconded: AC All were in favour
Action: Clerk to write to accept the quote

The provision of a further bin was discussed down towards Elmdale – this will be observed as the new houses come on line.

15 Allotments – consideration of provision of these within the parish.
There was a discussion about the siting of the potential allotments. Kentchurch Estate were keen to be involved with the project, but the right land needs to be identified.
Field needs access to water, doesn’t flood, should be relatively sunny and at least 2 acres in size.
It was suggested that should Kentchurch Estates not be able to assist, then we go to facebook to search for land that we could rent.
Grosmount and District Gardening Club are interested in assisting us in any way that they can.

16 Railway station update: a letter of support has been received by another minister. They are now waiting for government approval for the scheme.

17 Informing parishoners of the work of the PC inc social media:
AC will be putting forward: the Phone Box/book exchange; Memorial Hall; improved mobile service due to the mast; woodchip at the rec; allotments gaining momentum; progressing with the speed indicator; clerks e mail address to go onto facebook;
Action: AC to drip the info out by facebook.

18 To raise matters for the next agenda : no discussion: Allotments; Football Club;

19 To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 9th March 2021.
Meeting closed at 21.00

Signed:_________________________________ Date: ________________