April 2020 minutes

Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo

Tuesday 14th April 2020, 8pm on Zoom.

Draft Minutes

Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Clive Stainton (CS), Sarah Eynon (SE), Alex Culpin (AC); Malcolm Watkins (MW), Liz Overstall (LO) ; Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg) attended by telephone.

The chair thanked every one for embracing modern technology and coming in on this Zoom meeting – a first for the Parish Council.

1. To accept apologies for absence.
Sally Probert; Stephen Clayton;

2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
None received, the Chair explained that a change in legislation had allowed PC’s to meet this way.

3. To consider minutes of the previous meeting – 10.03.20. All were in agreement that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting.

Matters arising: Open Forum
3.1. To receive a brief report from the Ward Councillor.
The Chair outlined what the council was doing to help in these times of crisis. He said that there was amazing work being done out in the parishes. Herefordshire Council are still trying to carry out their usual day to day work – fly tipping is a particular problem at the moment and the Chair asked that if any offenders were spotted please can cllrs report them. On a positive note, with the roads being so quiet, many pot holes have been repaired over the last four weeks. PPE has been in short supply in county, but today, a large consignment has come in, enough to last for a number of weeks.
3.2. To receive a brief report from the local police team:
Just reminding people not to make unnecessary journeys. There are also many phone based scams around at the moment, reminding people not to get involved with any one who raises any concerns. Fraud is most prevalent on line and over the phones.
3.3. To receive a report from the Parish Paths Officer Graham Robinson: Not on this occasion
3.4. To receive views of local residents on parish matters.
The chair asked if there were any points that cllrs wanted to raise for their own areas, nothing was bought forward.

4. Corona Virus and the Group of Parishes
The chair asked if any cllrs had thoughts on the virus. LO mentioned Dulas Court was in her parish, she flagged up how terrifying the situation was for the staff in these care homes. They are not trained as nurses and so are fairly unprepared for events such as this. There is also a huge lack of PPE for care home staff – all of which PJ acknowledged, saying that putting on PPE safely was far harder that people thought. He also added that the council were aware of the stress and problems that these staff will be facing and they are looking at putting in some support for after the epidemic has passed.
AC thanked Herefordshire Council for handling the small business grants so effectively, he really felt that their speed and efficiency had been a bonus to small businesses at a time that every thing else is falling off a cliff.

5. Finance
5.1. To consider outstanding invoices in line with budget: CT Groundcare :£189.20; Cardiac Science Defib and cabinet tbc but approx. £1,291; HAGs £14,244; Clerks expenses: £204.08; Welsh Water: £23.20 (DD);
All were in agreement and payments were all authorised.

5.2. To review the 2019/20 budget and expenditure to date
There is now an underspend in almost all areas to carry forward to next year.

5.3. To authorise regular payments: Clerks Salary,
Approved as noted.

During the epidemic, cheques will be completed and signed by CS and PJ and forwarded to the clerk for posting having been approved by the EHGPC.

6. Planning
6.1. To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
Development of Land off Elm Green Road, provision of lighting query.
PJ has phoned people living opposite the development, to see how they feel about lighting going into the new estate. They seemed to support not only lighting there but also asked for lighting along the lane to assist fire officers getting to the station late at night. PJ will see if there is going to be S106 monies to put towards this.
Action: Clerk to make comment in line with above.
6.2. To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council: None to date

7. Recreation ground/pavilion : play area closed until further notice
The police had visited over the weekend and commented that it was all quiet.

8. Lengthsman
8.1. To receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish
It has been clarified that the lengthsman can work, as long as he is able to maintain social distancing and that the job is important.

9. Kemble Centre
9.1. Any update: nothing at present.

10. Dr Surgery: Defibrillator at doctor’s surgery is still out of action, the new one has been ordered along with a new cabinet, but during the pandemic it is delayed due to having to come from America. It is hoped that we should have both the new defib and cabinet by May. MW has kindly volunteered one of the Rowlestone defibrillators as an interim until the Ewyas Harold one arrives.
There is now one installed at the fire station, MW is in the process of registering it on The Circuit.
Action: Malcolm will liaise with the clerk to complete its registration. He will also try to get the spare defib in place at the EH Dr’s surgery.

11. Road safety.
11.1. Road safety improvements: Clerk has received brochures on various SID’s. Balfour Beatty’s SID deployment team are looking at the disused road sign to see if it would work as a location for the SID.
Action: Clerk to send Sally the SID brochures.

12. Climate emergency: Deferred LO offered to buy some trees if they came up at a bargain price. A number of cllrs offered space to plant them temporarily if necessary. She was given authorisation to do so.

13. Flood prevention and contingency planning: Nothing added
14. NDP Review : Deferred
15. Siting of Defibrillator Cabinets: Deferred
16. To raise matters for the next agenda : no discussion. New members.
17. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 12th May 2020. 8pm.
Meeting closed : 20.55