Minutes August 2020

Ewyas Harold Group Parish Council
Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo

Tuesday 7th July 2020,
Finance Committee meeting: 7.15pm on Zoom
Minutes

Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Clive Stainton (CS), Sarah Eynon (SE), Mike Wrigglesworth (MWg); Malcolm Watkins (MW);

The Finance sheet had been circulated to all cllrs. Meeting started 7.18pm

1. To accept apologies for absence.
None
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
None

3. Finance
Nat West Business Current account: 01.07.20 £ 612.12
Nat West Business Reserve account: 17.04.20 £70,149.30
3.1. To consider outstanding invoices
CT Groundcare: £ 393.00
GVA (Internal Audit) £ 210.00
HMRC PAYE £ 9.40
David Roden £2,470.20
M Wrigglesworth £ 29.19

Recommend Payment all in agreement

3.2. To approve regular payments schedule and Direct Debits
Herefordshire Council – bins; Clerks salary and expenses;
To approve the transfer of £15,000 from the reserve acct to current acct.
To ask for approval for hand dryers 3 x £59 + VAT TBC
To ask for approval for getting ivy removed £169 TBC

Recommend the spending above.

3.3. To review the 2020/21 budget and expenditure to date – all happy with the spending to date.
3.4. To consider allowing Lengthsman to utilise some of the money put aside under the footpaths section of the budget for use in other works by him.
PJ clarified that now that the GPC does not get any Lengthsman or P3 grants, the funding allocated in the budget set is entirely up to the GPC to decide how to spend it. SE and CS both agreed. Suggested keeping £3,000 in the P3 budget and moving £5,000 across to the lengthsman heading.
All agreed.

Action: Clerk to action these agreed movements.

Malcolm W had reminded the clerk that HAGs had an outstanding piece of work in painting out the lines in the play area – clerk to remind them that they need to do this – ideally before the playground re opens.

4. To raise matters for the next agenda: no discussion.
5. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 11th August 2020

The committee agreed with the cheques that were being submitted for authorisation and with their authorisation.

Ewyas Harold Group Parish Council
Parish Council meeting: 7.30pm on Zoom.

Minutes

Meeting started: 7.35
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Clive Stainton (CS), Sarah Eynon (SE),
Alex Culpin (AC); Malcolm Watkins (MW), Liz Overstall (LO) ; Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg);
Sally Probert (SP); Connor Price (CP)
Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk), Carey Goodwin, Amanda Huntley (Artivarious)

1. To accept apologies for absence.
Stephen Clayton;

2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
MW declared an interest under 7.1.

3. To consider minutes of the previous meeting – 09.06.20. All were in agreement that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting.
Action: Chair to sign the minutes when there is a physical meeting again.

4. Matters arising: open forum
4.1 Matters arising: Kissing gate on Porntrilas Court Farm;
Action: Clerk to continue to pursue the land steward.
4.2 To receive a brief report from the Ward Councillor/PC Chair
PJ told the meeting about a Golden Valley map that is being created. He also informed the meeting that our lengthsmans use of a metal detector to find the drains had started a trend with others doing a similar thing.
Flooding: there is a new grant that is available on the Council Web site – to help with recovery from flooding.
On Corona virus, he asked for all to continue to take care as he felt that the virus was by no means over.
PJ had received a phone call last week to say that there was a swam of bees at the playing field and people were getting stung. He went to the field and got notices put up warning people of the swarm.
Both pubs have now opened up in Ewyas Harold, the car park has been turned into a place to drink safely meaning that there is more traffic on the road at the moment.
4.3 To receive views of local residents on parish matters; noise from saw mills, late into the evening, Neil Powell butchers, phone box;.
– PJ has been to talk to the company about the noise and light pollution, it does seem to be wind related with the noise carrying much more noticeably with the wind in a specific direction. It is a huge employer for the area, but they do need to be respectful to the parishoners. The time of working should be from 6am to 10 pm with some time for maintenance, but they now seem to be going through the night now. MW: understands that they are the only saw mill working throughout the Covid shut down and it is believed that they have been making pallets for transporting medical equipment.

– Neil Powells butchers is creating a lot of extra noise with their extended work area and cooling system. SP will talk with the butchers to see if there is some thing that they can do to reduce this noise; MWg suggested that sound absorbing panels could be put around the fans to take the noise away.

– Junction on A465, hedge is blocking the pavement – clerk has asked Balfour Beatty to look at it.
Action: Clerk to write to the home owner to ask them to cut the hedge and then Balfour Beatty will follow up and ensure that it gets done.

– CG wanted to mention the telephone kiosk in the village is under the remit of the GPC. She asked if it could be turned into an exchange point – including books, dvd’s, gluts of fruit. It would be lock up in the evenings if necessary. CG would decorate it and fit out the interior of the kiosk. PJ expressed concerns about what might happen on a Saturday night, but all cllrs were very supportive of doing this. The GPC will need to add it to their insurance. The Chair asked for a clear line of management of the box, indicating who will be responsible for what. He also asked that everything that is put in there must be child safe, and suggested that public health could be asked if they had any suggestions for this to work safely.
Action: CS to ask the insurers about adding the phone box

Village Sign: CG told the meeting that this was due to be replaced between the 15th and 18th July, it is being printed at the moment.

4.4 To receive a report from PCSO – unable to use Zoom, but a report had been circulated by e mail. PJ reminded the meeting that thieves are being very prolific at the moment, particularly with scams on both the phone and internet.

4.5 To receive report from footpath officer – circulated and at the end of these minutes. EH 26 and 27 has been reported today as the path has now fallen into the river.

5. Finance
5.1. Balances as at 01.07.20 in Current Acct: £ 612.12
Reserve acct: £70,149.30
5.2. To authorise payments to be made: Finance committee recommended payment of invoices.
5.3. To authorise regular payments: The finance committee recommended payment of the invoices.
Authorise future payments: Removing ivy at the pavilion: £165 and the transfer of £15,000 from the business reserve acct to the current acct.
The Chair updated the meeting about the GPC application for a grant to support the work of the lengthsman to assist with drainage – this is to continue the excellent work that he is doing out on the Rowlestone road. The finance group have also agreed to move £5,000 from the P3 element of the budget to the lengthsmans element – this was agreed by the whole meeting.

It was resolved to make these payments and transfers.

Action: Clerk to make these payments.

5.5. Monies received: None
During the epidemic, cheques will be completed and signed by CS and PJ and forwarded to the clerk for posting having been approved by the EHGPC.

6. Planning
a. To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
201511: Land East of Trappe Cottage 2 x two bed semidetached dwellings: Confirm that comments have been received by planning department.
201586: EH memorial hall (extension to the kitchen); Clerk to submit comment to support the application.

b. To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council: Change in Callow Wood development – changing from a bungalow to a dormer. Passed.

7. Recreation ground/pavilion: play area closed until further notice The meeting felt that when the GPC open the playground it needed to be done right. Questions were raised as to the expectations that would come out in the new guidelines – Will it have to be cleaned down every evening? The GPC need to see how this will be managed. The chair explained that PC’s would shortly be receiving information about opening public play areas. MW has suggested to Nick C-T that he might be offered the job of being the play area cleaner and he was not averse to the idea. However the GPC needs to be able to manage the opening. LO suggested that there might be a volunteer (or paid person) in the village who might be prepared to do this. SP asked if we could get the work done on the playground whilst it is closed and HAGs will be approached to see if they can do this. MW is looking at relocating the litter bin, putting a new one by the entrance to the rec with the one by the pavilion being moved to closer to the gate. Do not climb on the roof signs have gone up on the pavilion and on the containers. Hand dryers have been ordered for the Pavilion loos. No football has happened since March, and the FA have given guidelines as to what can happen to bring the sport back.
There is a possible booking for the cricket club in August.
MWg reminded the meeting that there had been an agreement to put planings on the car park at the Rec, he is waiting for the right opportunity to get this done.
7.1 Discussion about the football club (MW remained silent for this item)
The football club has not played any football since March, they have not been able to fundraise or charge subs from players. He was asking for a payment holiday. All cllrs were in agreement with this, and the suggestion was for 4 months, but to review it in a couple of months time.

8. Lengthsman
8.1 To receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish.
Lenthsman has been very busy around the parish. MWg there are 2 channels of work that the lengthsman has been undertaking, one is a ‘drainage scheme’ putting in pipes, culverts etc and this should be funded by the grant that the GPC have applied for. He and the lengthsman have been asked to quote for this specific job. The next part of the job will be to look at the King St element of the Rowlestone lane, clearing the grips and gullies of mud from years of accumulation.

Action: clerk to keep all informed of the progress of the grant application.

9. Kemble Centre
9.1 Update from working group :- CS ; we have met 3 times as a working group with 2 zoom calls and one site visit. As a parish council we need to talk about. 1. Is this what the parish really wants? There are people who want it to be a car park or a village green. 2. If this is true, are we the GPC happy to sign a document tying us into this project.
There is pressure to get to the point that we sign a ‘heads of terms’ agreement.
LO felt that it might help if we could tell the parish that it will not be possible to turn the place into a car park from a planning perspective.
PJ said that we continue working with Artivarious to move forward, refining the Heads of Terms agreement. This will be circulated to all cllrs before the next meeting for them to look through prior to the meeting so that it can hopefully be signed off at the meeting.
SP: as councillors our role is surely to find solutions to the problems that people come up with. Purposeful communication is the key.
CP asked how do we get the younger generations on board, they wont look at our web site or the notice boards?
PJ reminded all that there have been flyers put through peoples letter boxes so every one should know or be aware of what is going on.
CS asked that if councillors come up with any other ideas, do please let us know, we need to know now that this is what the village want us to do before we start to commit money to the scheme.
AC felt that parking was a key issue for the Kemble Centre and the village, it was thought that additional parking is a vital part of the plans.

10. Road safety.
10.1 Road safety improvements: The clerk has been in communication with Balfour Beatty, to check if they can use the existing sign plinth to mount the SID – this will not be possible. SP has sourced a solar SID that will not need an electrical input. SG to get an assessment done for both directions of the SID.
PJ had been approached by a parishioner who was happy to put monies towards the placing of a SID.

10.2 Letter to companies about speeding in the village
Previously, the clerk had a data base of business in the area – clerk to see if it still exists. Letter to be circulated to remind drivers to drive slowly.
Clerk asked cllrs to give her the names of local companies and she will compile a list.

11. Assisting dog owners with their responsibilities
SP asked for more bins in the village. She will mark on a map where the additional bins should go. Nick C-T to be approached to see if he will empty the bins each week. LO asked to put up general waste bins not ‘dog poo’ bins, this was agreed by all.

12. Railway station update.
CS informed the meeting that he had had a meeting earlier this evening and had another one tomorrow. The Dept of Transport have looked at our application and have asked for some additional information. We are part of this first tranche of funding and it is thought that the Dept of Transport are pretty happy with our application.
He asked for assistance from the GPC in thinking of reasons why they might use the station, why would it work for the community? To feed ideas back to him.

13. To raise matters for the next agenda : no discussion.
SID, bins, Kemble Centre Heads of Agreement,

14. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 11th August 2020.

Meeting closed at 21.05

Signed: _________________________________ Date: _________________

Ewyas Harold GPC
Parish Footpath Officer’s Report
June 2020

Not a great deal to report this month but gradually doing a small amount around Ewyas Harold with a bottle of hand sanitiser in my bag as a new essential bit of kit!

EH18: I reported a missing finger post adjacent to Golden Grove to Balfour Beatty in January 2019! It has now finally been replaced by them with a modern plastic one but at least the post is wooden!

EH14 : The finger post at the start of this path from Dark Lane was completely covered in ivy totally obscuring it so I attacked it with secateurs – it fought me all the way but I got there in the end!

EH16 : I have had to re-sign the stile on EH16 where it meets the common as all the signs were broken and faded.