Minutes August 2021

Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo

Tuesday 10th August 2021,
Finance Committee meeting: 6.45pm
At Ewyas Harold Memorial Hall

Present: Councillors Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Sarah Eynon (SE);

Finance sheet had been circulated to all cllrs. Meeting started 6.45pm

1. To accept apologies for absence. None declared.
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
None received.
3. Consider minutes of previous meeting – 13th July 2021
All were happy that the minutes were a true representation of the meeting.

4. Finance
Nat West Business Current account: 28.06.21 £ 45,552.41
Nat West Business Reserve account: 28.06.21 £ 68,583.98
4.1. To consider outstanding invoices
CT Groundcare (July)                   £ 462.00
Mrs Chance (cleaning loos)         £ 475.30
JM Probert (emptying bins)        £ 100.00
Elan City (SID)                               £2,362.80
Bespoke Visual Solutions             £ 120.00
Ewyas Harold Memorial Hall      £ 16.00
Herefordshire Council (roundels) £ 285.96
Kompan (deposit for the zip line) £ 500.00 tbc
Proposed:PJ Seconded: SE

Recommend Payment all in agreement

To agree Proposed expenditure:
Eyelid Productions, our Webmaster service are asking for £50 to update our website so that e mails sent to the clerk directly from the site actually get delivered to our Office 365 e mail address – which they are not currently doing.  This was agreed by all present.

4.2. To approve regular payments schedule : Clerks salary and expenses; and Direct Debits:- None.

Recommend the spending above.

Proposed:PJ Seconded: SE

It was resolved to agree to all of these payments.Each item was looked at as a separate expenditure.

Action: Clerk to action these agreed payments.

4.3. To acknowledge receipts. None.
To discuss restating the Section 2 element of the audited accounts. The meeting approved the restated accounts. Clerk to submit to the external auditors.

5. To raise matters for the next agenda: Information had been circulated about the CCLA savings account. We are now waiting for the necessary forms to open an account and then to move some of the EHGPC savings into it.

6. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 14th September 2021

The committee agreed with the cheques that were being submitted to the PC for authorisation.

Meeting closed at 6.57pm

Ewyas Harold Group Parish Council meeting:
7.05pm At Ewyas Harold Memorial Hall

Minutes

Meeting started: 7.00 pm
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair): Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg); Sarah Eynon (SE); Sally Probert (SP); Stephen Clayton (SC); Malcolm Watkins (MW);
Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk), Terry Talbot – Footpaths officer (TT);
On Zoom: Carey Goodwin.

1. To accept apologies for absence.
Connor Price (CP); Alex Culpin (AC); Liz Overstall (LO); Clive Stainton (CS);

2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.

– SP for her husbands invoice – submitted as Jamie Probert.
– MW for his mother in law cleaning the rec loos.
All cllrs were happy with this position.

3. 3.1. To consider minutes of the previous meeting – July 2021. All were in agreement that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting. The Chair duly agreed to sign the minutes. Proposed: SP Seconded: MWg
Action: Chair to sign the minutes.

3.2 Matters arising from these: either addressed, on the agenda or actions list.

3.3 Matters raised between meetings ; The retaining of the stile at Pontrilas Court farm was questioned. It had been raised at the last meeting that it was questionable to take out a good stile and put in the gate in its place. It was recapped that this was not what we had agreed which was that the gate would be used there. MW agreed to go with the majority view, but it was felt that the PC should contact Rachel Evans who made the original request, to explain why the stile was still there.
The Chair asked if councillors wanted to put a gate in there, and it was moved to add it to the list of jobs that need to be done, but to use the existing gate to replace a stile further along the path that is completely broken. MWg endorsed using the new gate to replace the broken stile. Changing all of the stiles to gates along this walk will be a PC priority.
Action: clerk to contact the land agent to update on what we are aiming to do. Clerk also to contact Rachel Evans to let her know the PCs decision.

SP talked about ‘active listening’. Explaining how she felt that we had many things on the agenda that never got delt with, the PC was seen as a talking shop, it would be great if we got more actually done.

4. Co-option of Councillors
LO had informed the clerk that she had talked to a resident in Dulas who had expressed an interest in becoming a Parish Councillor. She will continue this discussion with them and invite them to a meeting in the future.
Action: LO to keep the interested party informed.

The clerk has been in contact with the electoral services office to see how we go about reducing the numbers of cllrs allocated to each parish. She is still waiting for more information, but there was a discussion about which parishes needed the allocated number of cllrs.

5. Open forum for public comment:
No comments put forward.

6. To receive a brief report from :
6.1 the Ward Councillor/PC Chair.
PJ had circulated the report from the leader of the council.
He has been looking into where the report on flooding has got to, he understands that it might be ready by September.
He asked if the PC felt that we should supply sandbags to the Parish – we did supply some last year. The question was asked as to whether or not we have put out other ways that home owners can assist themselves? MWg talked about getting flood boards put in peoples homes, they work better and are easier in the long run than getting sand bags to vulnerable people. It was suggested that we might liaise with the fire station to store bags and sand there.
Actions : clerk to look and see if there were still flood grants available.
PJ to ask John Chance if we can use his fire station to store sand and bags.

6.2 To receive a report from PCSO – nothing to report.
6.3 To receive report from footpath officer – Terry Talbot had submitted a report for the Councillors with an addendum document.
TT had been looking particularly at a path that is part of the Herefordshire Trail. The first part of the addendum deals with the broken stile that might be replaced by the new gate. Then there is an area where there has been significant erosion leaving the path very muddy and the drainage pipe is exposed. MWg suggested making a stone edge and then infilling so that the path is raised up. PJ said that the environment agency would need to be informed as some of this work would be on the river bank. The land is owned by Hughes, and then on the other side of the gate is Pontrilas Court farm.
Action: TT and MWg to liaise with what to say to the landowner. Landowners to be approached to see what they will suggest. BB to be approached about repairing the bridge., TT will do this through Paul Norris.
Action: Clerk to bring all interested parties together to discuss.

Very bad erosion of the bank has caused a large hole beside the river that could easily trap a child or dog.
Action: TT to show Paul Norris when the above point is raised with him.

Ref the Waterworks bridge: the Waterworks people put another bridge over the top of the current one to get big machines into their works. When they moved the second bridge the railings were reinstated. Since then, the fence has been hit by a large piece of machinery leaving the railing severed.
Action : PJ to contact Welsh Water to get them to reinstate the railings correctly.
SP suggested that some orange tape along the railings would be a good idea to show people just how dangerous it is, but as the ownership of the bridge is still unconfirmed it was unclear who should do this.

7. Action List for Councillors – this was gone through and the actions noted. Clerk will update the current list with tonights ‘actions’ and recirculate it to all Cllrs. SP suggested that Actions that had to be carried over should be highlighted so that they were obvious and needed to be done as soon as possible.

8. Planning
8.1 To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
212593– Woodhay Lodge, Walterstone: Continued use of log cabin by current occupier as a dwelling house.
Comment: Parish Council did not have a comment to make.
212633 – Beech House, Ewyas Harold: Proposed detached dwelling.
Comment: The PC were concerned about the parking and access for this dwelling, particularly during the building phase. The PC would ask for highways to look further into this, given the problems that already exist on that road, apart from this the PC supports the application.
212663 – Pontrilas Army Training Area: Proposed storage building.
Comment: No comment.
212778 – Land to the rear of the Laurels Veterinary Practice: proposed detached self-build dwelling.
Comment: No planning notice has been posted as yet. SP indicated that many locals are not aware of this application. Other issues raised were the removal of waste and surface water. The original application was for 3 affordable houses, it has now gone down to one large property. PC comment: Ask for a deferral for our comment.
Application for granting a premises Licence to Home Farm, Dulas.
Comment: The EHGPC would like to see that ‘Films’ need to be either indoors, or with a cut off time at 10pm. This comment should be put under ‘prevention of public nuisance’. It was noted that generally the PC supports this application.

8.2 To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council:-
211607: 2 Westfields: approved with conditions.

9. Recreation ground/pavilion:
Update on the rec, pavilion and play area. Including zip wire.
SE has done the playground checks. The fence on the rec field has not been done yet, but the contractor is going to be on site shortly.
Hedge cutting can start in September,
Action: clerk to organise this.
Playground safety check needs to be done.
Action: to be booked by clerk.
The gate into the park by the pavilion – the gate post is lose –
Action: Clerk to ask the lengthsman to do this.
Carpenter to look at the changing room doors – do this through MW.
Action: Clerk to give MW the contact details and he will organise.
Zip wire has been approved – with an updated spec.
Action: Clerk to order it.
The gates on the kids play area were not closing and MWg went to give them a service – all now working fine.
PJ noted that the play surface has already started to deteriorate – MW will send some pictures to HAGs to get them to come back.
Action:- MW to talk to HAGs.
MWg to provide the car park posts for Ray so that he can replace them when he does the fencing.

10. Kemble Centre – update
LO and PJ have taken over from CS in overseeing this for the PC.
PJ explained that the car parking at the KC had become a bit of an issue although PJ thought that this would need to be addressed at the planning stage of the process. It has been agreed that the car park will remain the responsibility of EHGPC.
Nick CT has been asked to cut the grass there again.
Contract is at its final stages or being made ready to sign.
PJ to check if the back door of the Church has been fully sorted out – opening correctly etc.

11. Lengthsman
To receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish. Including work to prevent flood damage on Mill Lane.
MWg has put together a list of jobs for the lengthsman – clerk will forward this to him updating it with any actions from tonights meeting.
Top and bottom of Rabbit Lane have both been listed with BB with people trying to use it as a through lane when it clearly isn’t.
Action: PJ will order more barriers from BB to put up along Mill Lane.
King St work is all ready to be done, but they will wait until after the hedges have been cut so that the debris does not just refill the grips and gullies that they clear.
Road by Lower House Farm on Rowlestone lane.
Action: Clerk to ask the lengthsman to look at this.
Young trees growing out of the wall at the Dr’s surgery – this is a job for BB.
Action: Clerk to ask them to do it or offer for the PC to sort out the problem if BB will pay for us to do their work.
Road markings are poor – double yellow lines through the village are particularly in need of attention.
Action: PJ to talk to HC about this.
Dark Lane has many nettles growing out of the wall at Treetops – home owner to be requested to do this.
Action: a cllr to approach the home owner – please confirm who will do this?
Clark Carson to be asked to cut his hedge on the corner onto Pontrilas Rd.
Action: Clerk to ask BB to approach him.
Bridge at Dulas is due to be repaired, so the road will be closed for a while. King St work has been asked not to happen at the same time – this was noted by MWg.
Grass is growing strongly in pavements and kerbs throughout Ewyas Harold.
Action: clerk to find a quote for a road sweep to do the whole village.

12. Community Resilience Plan / Covid 19
CP was not present at the meeting.

13. Finance
13.1 Balance as at 31.07.21 in Current Acct: £45,552.41
Reserve acct 31.07.21: £68,583.98
13.2 To authorise payments to be made as in the finance committee minutes.
The meeting agreed to make the payment to Eyelid Products for the update to our website to allow the website to link directly to the parish emails. The meeting also agreed to pay the first incremental payment to Komplan for the zip line to be fitted.
13.3 To authorise regular payments including: Clerks Salary and Direct debit; (as listed in the finance committee minutes)
13.4 To confirm monies received: As listed in finance committee minutes.
13.5 Grant requests for consideration: Victim Support. Clerk to send them a grant application form.
Amendment to section 2 of the audit, restatement was approved and clerk to submit them as agreed.

Proposed to make these payments: all in agreement.

Action: Clerk to make these payments. Consider local webmasters to oversee the Parish Website at the end of the current term with Eyelid Productions.

14. Roads
Road safety and improvements. The SID is up and working. MWg spent some considerable time getting this up and running,, including the supply of the pole etc. He asked for consideration for payment to himself of £250. He will supply an invoice showing where this money was spent. MWg left the meeting for this to be discussed. The Parish Councillors debated the process for this payment, agreeing that it was back to front, the invoice should have been raised prior to the work being done.
Action: MWg to supply invoices for payment at next meeting.

15. Standing orders
The Chair wanted to bring up the need to review the Standing Orders at a future meeting. Clerk will circulate the current ones.

16. Allotments – consideration of provision of these with in the parish. Nothing further to report this month.
Action: PJ still in discussion with prospective land owner about these.

17. Social Media/welcome packs
The chair had heard of other parishes who prepare ‘welcome packs’ for new parishoners, EHGPC to consider this in the future – it was agreed that it would take quite a lot of work to get this up and running.

18. Informing parishoners of the work of the GPC including social media.
Items to mention: Sand bags, flood prevention, Sid is working, roundels are coming, welcome and thank you to our new footpaths officer – Terry Talbot. Please send us your concerns as you walk around the parishes.

19. To raise matters for the next agenda – no discussion : As per this agenda . Toilets for the rec. – MWg to look further into this.

20. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 14th September 2021.

Meeting closed at 21.13

Signed:_________________________________ Date: ________________

Future parish council meeting dates for 2021/2022:

Tuesday 12th October 7pm
Tuesday 9th November 7pm
Tuesday 14th December 7pm
2022 Tuesday 11th January 7pm
Tuesday 8th February 7pm
Tuesday 8th March 7pm