Minutes March 2020

EWYAS HAROLD GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo

Minutes for the Parish Council Meeting on
Tuesday 10th March 2020 at 7pm in the Pavilion

Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Clive Stainton (CS), Sarah Eynon (SE), Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg), Alex Culpin (AC) Sally Probert (SP), Steven Clayton (SC);

In attendance: Sophie Glover (Clerk) ; CPSO: David Roden (lengthsman); Dr Nigel Harris; 3 members of the public (until the end of item 5).
Meeting started at 7pm
1. To accept apologies for absence. – Malcolm Watkins (MW), Liz Overstall (LO),
Absent without apology –
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
None given
3. To consider minutes of the previous meeting … 11.02.20.
It was resolved to adopt the minutes as a true record, and they were signed by PJ.
There were no matters arising that are not on the agenda apart from:
-Lorries going in and out of Pontrilas:at 5.30 in the morning – there are lorries queuing on the main road to access the saw mills and these are a real road hazardm The CPSO was present and he agreed to go and talk with with the mill management :- PJ informed the meeting that a complete redesign of the site is currently with planning, so it was hoped that things will improve in the near future.
-Mole prevention: James Price has been to catch moles in the past. LO was concerned to know what was in the balls before we used them :- As Malcolm was not at the meeting it was agreed to let him catch the moles using any legally prescribed methods.
– Timber merchant by the bridge has bright lights shining straight into drivers eyes on the main road :- PJ will approach them to talk about it.
In addition, the clerk was told that at the turning off the main road to the village, the bollard in the middle of the road had been hit and is in the ditch.
Action: Clerk to tell locality steward.
Also, signage has been affected by the floods, also signs are appearing everywhere that are not official, and many of these are now ruined and on the floor leaving a mess.

Apart from these points, it was agreed that the minutes were a true representation of the meeting.

4. Open Forum
4.1 To receive a brief report from the Ward Councillor:
The Chair talked about the recent flooding in the village, there will be a meeting this week about the drainage in the area to try and see if this can be improved. Cllr J had asked the environment agency to unblock the arch of the bridge, which was completely fouled up, this had been done earlier today. The meeting discussed riparian ownership of ditches and where the responsibility for mucking them out lies.
Fastershire are offering training on tourism IT.
4.2 To receive a brief report from the local police team – No one present, no report sent.

4.3 To receive a brief report from the Parish Paths Officer – report sent electronically. Graham Robinson was not present, but the meeting sent a vote of thanks for his excellent and colourful reports.

4.4 To receive views of local residents on parish matters. Nothing raised.

5 Dr Nigel Harris, the Railway Consultancy, Crystal Palace:,to talk about Pontrilas Parkway station review update.
Dr Harris’s company was part of the team who wrote the original report for the new station. He has been negotiating with Herefordshire Council ref the Pontrilas Parkway station.
He pointed out that not all trains passing through would be stopping at the station. He outlined the work that he is trying to do in the next 3 months, some of this will be with the department of transport.
He then took questions: CS asked about the paper that was being submitted for next week. He asked if freight provision was a thing to talk about at this time, it was advised to keep them separate.
PJ explained that both councils to the North and South of EH were being consulted, also the council at present is very keen on pursuing green schemes and the railway station seems to fall into their area of support.
AC: clarified what Dr Harris was being employed to do: to consult with the various players and government departments to get the best deal for the station. He asked if the local people would have a chance to look at the review paper that Dr Harris is writing before it is submitted – it was thought that this might be possible. The report is due in three months.
CS talked about car park size, what was realistic for a small country station? Dr Harris will come back to him on this.
MWg asked if the trains would be provided with enough capacity to take the rush hour people to and from the station – yes this would be factored in.

6 Council vacancies and training – The Chairman asked Councillors to continue to encourage others to join the Parish Council via their contacts. Cllrs were invited to attend the Parish Council Summit: 2nd April 2020. (Which has since been cancelled)

7 Finance
7.1 To consider outstanding invoices in line with budget. – finance committee had already verified the payments, the main meeting approved payment of all.
Action: Clerk to make payments
7.2 To review the 2019/20 budget and expenditure to date. Members noted that the Finance Committee had reviewed 2019/20 budget and expenditure to date. No further queries were raised
7.3 To authorise regular payments – Members noted that the list of regular payments had been reviewed and signed by the Finance Committee.

8 Planning:
8.1 Comments on applications:-
200477: Pwll Yr Hunt: Pontrilas: Internal alterations
It was decided to enter a comment to support the application and then add No comment
200385: The Brooms, Walterstone: proposed single storey side and rear extension
It was decided to enter a comment to support the application and then add no comment.
200609: Cwm Cottage, Rowlestone: Proposed single story extension
It was decided to enter a comment to support the application and then to add no comment.
8.2 To note comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council: None made

9 Recreation ground/pavilion
9.1 Monthly inspection report; done by SE nothing to report as work to do.
Bin removed from the playground and needs to be replaced with a concrete plinth.
Nick Cooper Tompkins to remove ivy from around the toilets.

It was moved by SE to renew the contract with Nick Cooper-Thompson for this year and to go for a 3 yr contract from 2021. Seconded: SP all in favour.
Second contract to cut the Kemble Centre grass.
Action: Clerk to organise said contract.

Pavillion toilets: proposal that the existing toilets are knocked down, and replaced by one large stainless steel disabled access toilet.
Action: Clerk to look for grants for this, and for quotes for supplies of the toilet.

Maintaining the play area: MW is getting quotes for replacing play equipment. We will use this to create a depreciation account so that when bits of the equipment need replacing we will have the funds to do so. Clerk to start to depreciate play equipment by 10% in the end of year accounts to show a real figure for the value of said equipment on the books.
Action: clerk to look at CCLA account for a reserves account. Clerk to depreciate the play equipment annually in the end of year accounts to start in 2019-20.

Cricket pavilion: no response has been forthcoming from the cricket club, it was suggested to find local groups who might be interested in the equipment that is left there.

Mole control: this needs to have a decision on it before we start cutting the grass. James Price has done it in the past, Malcolm to contact him to rebook him.

Fence that was put up at the request of the football association has fallen down there was a discussion about whether or not to put it back up as it was a hindrance to the grass mowing.

9.2 To consider progress on maintenance & repairs:
9.2.1 Play surface and playground fencing:
9.2.2 Hedge and tree cutting. – The job needs finishing up when the weather dries up
9.2.3 Scalpings for car park, clerk needs to get a quote for them, although it was resolved that she was authorised to procure 2 loads when the weather dries out.
9.2.4 French drain for car park; David Roden, the lengthsman, was asked to quote for this, he will prepare this for the PC.
9.2.5 Repairs and maintenance schedule – will come out of the Rec Committee meeting when it happens.
9.3 Rec Committee meeting date : To be confirmed, SE will lead on this this month.
9.4 Grass mowing: It was resolved to go with Nick C-T again for this year and a contract will be drawn up to this effect. From 2021 tenders will be sought for a 3 year contract going forward.
Action: Clerk to arrange contract to be signed by NC-T

10. Lengthsman
Actions from previous meetings:
1. There is a meeting in Peterchurch, 18th March about natural flood defences.
2. PJ will search practical advice for home owners to get flood defences in place.
3. PJ to look at rules for water extraction using pumps.
10.1 To receive an update and consider work required around the parish
Lengthsmans report:-
The Lengthsman had been to look at the job that PJ set him to clear the road at Rowlestone where the mud from a neighbouring field has moved onto the road with the flooding. There was a discussion about whether we should be doing this or was it a job for BB? The chair suggested that we just carry on and start on the jobs that need doing.
The job of putting up the Rowlestone notice board again which is currently on the floor was given to the lengthsman to attend to.
Action: Lengthsman to carry out these jobs.

11. Kemble Centre
11.1 Maintenance
Car park is getting very muddy, MWg was asked to look at it in the future.
11.2 Arts Co-operative update : letter authorising their use of the Centre for HArt in September.
Action: Clerk supplied a draft letter for Philippa Lydford to authorise their use, signed at meeting clerk to post to them.
MWg has currently disconnected all electrics there, he will reconnect some power points and lights for them. He will be the point of contact for Artivarious to have access prior to the event.
11.3 Defibrillator at doctor’s surgery – update: Battery obtained, found that the whole defibrillator and cabinet were actually distorted and thus condemned and could not be used.
Action: Clerk to return battery and order replacement cabinet and defib.

12. Road safety… Previous Action: clerk to book SID Assessment Request from BB; clerk to ask the CPSO to be outside the school at pick off and drop off to improve parking and driving behaviour. Clerk to ask police about moving the 20mph speed sign back towards Dulas.

12.1 Road safety improvements – moving the speed sign at Dulas is currently number 54 on the TRO listing, and the quote for moving it up the queue is approx. £8,000.
SID for the village: SP suggested that the PC made a suggestion that a list of tasks was drawn up by them with a time scale on it. She asked PJ as Ward cllr to take the issue of speeding through villages to a higher level.
Village Gates were also discussed, and the clerk was asked to cost them for the next meeting.
Parking outside the school was discussed, with no obvious resolution to parents parking dangerously.

12.2 Salt Bins – to be filled

13 Climate emergency
LO sent a report that the school had reacted favourably to getting the children involved in planting the trees. It was circulated to all cllrs.

14 Flood prevention and contingency planning – The clerk has tried to order sand bags, BB are saying that they only issue them in an emergency, it has been suggested that EH is a parish that should be covered under the ‘emergency’ agreement.

Action: Clerk to obtain bags from BB and to order sand from builders merchants.

15 NDP Review – Nothing further at this point

16 Siting of Defibrillator Cabinets – Clerk has sent e mails to the fire station but is still awaiting a response.
Action: Clerk to continue chasing him up

17 To raise matters for the next agenda … no discussion.
Road improvements

18 To note the date of the next scheduled meeting … 14.04.20.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 21.05

SIGNED……………………………………………………………. DATE………………………………