Minutes March 2021

Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo
Tuesday 9th March 2021,

Finance Committee meeting: 6.45pm on Zoom
Present: Councillors Clive Stainton (CS), (in the chair), Sarah Eynon (SE);
Peter Jinman (PJ)

Finance sheet had been circulated to all cllrs. Meeting started 6.45pm

1. To accept apologies for absence.  None.
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
None received.
3. Consider minutes of previous meeting
All were happy that the minutes were a true representation of the meeting.

4. Finance
Nat West Business Current account: 01.02.21 £ 24,681.52
Nat West Business Reserve account: 26.02.21 £ 78,581.08
4.1. To consider outstanding invoices
CT Groundcare (Feb) £ 110.00
HAGS playground repairs £1,957.20
Mrs Chance (cleaning loos) £ 434.65
Glasdon (post for bins) £ 79.21
Martin Wakins (electrical
Jobs in pavilion) £1,692.00
JM Probert (emptying bins) £ 75.00

Proposed: CS Seconded: SE

Recommend Payment all in agreement

4.2. To approve regular payments schedule : Clerks salary and expenses; and Direct Debits:-

SSE Scottish Hydro; Direct Debit:
Pavilion Aug 20 to Nov 20 £35.63
Pavilion Nov 20 to Feb 21 £34.90
ICO – Data protection £40.00

Recommend the spending above.

Proposed: CS Seconded: SE

It was resolved to agree to all of these payments.

Proposed: Seconded: All were in agreement.
Each item was looked at as a separate item.

Action: Clerk to action these agreed payments.

4.3. To acknowledge receipts.
Monies received: We received £10,000 for the library when the first Covid grant was paid. SE confirmed that in the end of March previous accounts should show the clerk an invoice from Herefordshire Council for renting the library. Clerk to identify why this has stopped happening. PJ wanted clarification on what we spend on the building, to see if we can justify accepting the grant monies.
Action: Clerk to clarify if we can justify keeping the grant or organise to repay it.

Lengthsman to continue work at the Wigga, we can then pull down the remaining drainage grant and make up the rest from the Parish Accounts.
New Cheque book to be ordered.

5. To raise matters for the next agenda:

6. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 13th April 2021

The committee agreed with the cheques that were being submitted to the PC for authorisation.

Meeting closed at 6.57pm

Ewyas Harold Group Parish Council meeting:
7.05pm on Zoom.

Meeting started: 7.04
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Clive Stainton (CS), Malcolm Watkins (MW); Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg); Liz Overstall (LO) Sarah Eynon (SE);Connor Price (CP) Sally Probert (SP) Alex Culpin (AC);
Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk), Fiona Witcher; Angela Thoo.

1. To accept apologies for absence.
Stephen Clayton;

2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
-MWg– is working with the Lengthsman doing the road works, so he is working with the Lengthsman as a private individual including the hiring of him as a labourer and he has many machines that are of great asset to the jobs undertaken.
-SP declared an interest in the invoice from her husband.
-MW declared an interest in the L Chance invoice for the toilet cleaning as that is his mother in law. He also has an interest in the football club item.

All cllrs were happy with this position.

3. 3.1. To consider minutes of the previous meeting – 09.02.21. All were in agreement that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting. The Chair duly agreed to sign the minutes.
Action: Chair to sign the minutes when there is a physical meeting again.
3.2 Matters arising from these: either addressed, on the agenda apart from ; the Kissing gate at Pontrilas Court Farm; this has now been paid for and BB will deliver it to Paradise for MWg and lengthsman to fit. KC Keys; MWg has confirmed that a new barrel has been secured and will be fitted shortly; Foot path to Castle Lands – erosion there still to be sorted out;

3.3 Matters raised between meetings ; Dulas Brook: LO explained that the ford needs to be dredged to prevent flooding. This could affect the ford itself and the land owner had questioned if he needed to tell the environment agency or Hereford Council? PJ has asked both agencies to get the correct line on the issue. He felt that permits would be needed and will come back when he has heard the outcome from his question.
She also asked about the collapsed wall in the brook at the rec.which will be picked up at the Rec item of the agenda.
Extending Public Space Protection Order: this is the Council’s way to try and control the menace of dog owners not picking up their dogs messes. Cllrs happy to have the clerk approve this.

4. Open forum for public comment:
Dark Lane speeding was mentioned by a parishioner, they thought that there were not enough speed signs along the lane indicating that it is a 20mph zone.
Action: Clerk/Chair to try to resource more stickers for both 20mph and ‘slow down’.
SP will measure out the distance between street lights along there for us to pass on to BB to try and get more repeater signs up there.
BB to be told that the speed sign outside the school is fully overgrown.

5. To receive a brief report from :
5.1 the Ward Councillor/PC Chair.
PJ had circulated the leaders report for Cllrs to get a feeling of what was happening in the wider Council.
He has been working on the flooding issue, particularly with the Environment Agency, who have offered to come and talk to the Parish Council at a future meeting. He has also met with the drainage officer at Balfour Beatty.
Hill Lane has been closed, Lower House Rd in Rowlestone may also be closed – these are going to be until the roads are properly repaired which could be a number of months. It was emphasised that Lower House Rd is a vital road in Rowlestone, it is not a dead end and actually leads out of the village, so it closure needs to be looked at seriously.
It was noted that the Estates and Property accounts had been taken back in house by Herefordshire Council.

5.2 To receive a report from PCSO –
Nothing to report. Although she noted the speeding issue along Dark Lane and the poor parking outside the school. PJ noted the increase of use of EH Common, particularly by youths driving on the wet grass, he asked if there could be a police presence up there occasionally.

5.3 To receive report from footpath officer – nothing to report this month, although the PC were delighted to hear that the footpaths officer was making a good recovery. They continued to wish him well on his return to full health.

6. Planning
6.1 To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
210189 – Pontrilas Saw mill: construction of new timber treatment building.
Not in the Ward, Comment: Light pollution needs to be considered with any development there.
210006 – Kirlands, Ewyas Harold: Loft conversion and dormer extension to rear of property.
Comment: EHGPC does not object to this application.
210370 – The Old Stables Fish and Chips; Proposed single storey open sided extension.
Comment: EHGPC supports this application. Support with the suggestion that the build is in keeping with the rest of the village.
210349 – Pwll Yr Hunt, Pontrilas; Erection of stable block.
Comment: EHGPC does not object to this application.
6.2 To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council:-
203886 – Pontrilas Timber and builders merchant: Extension, granted

7. Recreation ground/pavilion:
Update on the rec, pavilion and play area, and additional football pitches.
MW had sent through a general report on the football ground and the Pavilion. The mole catcher has been out to catch some moles with great success. HAGs have been out to do some remedial work on the playground. The second toilet door is receiving some attention so that it can be closed, bringing this toilet back into service.
The gate down to the river has been dug out by Nick Eynon and PJ so that this works again.
The bin near the pavilion is being moved slightly further away from the building to prevent bad smells in the summer and the second bin by the play area is also to be moved.
Request made to buy a new bin at approx. £200. All approved,
Action: clerk to order and have delivered to MW’s.
Trees to be planted at the rec, placement has been agreed with LO.
Fencing to be replaced and MW has got quotes, clerk to get some more to get this fencing around the rec improved. Can the finance working group consider quotes between meetings? Councillors were all happy for the FC to make the final decision. It was resolved to get quotes based on using sheep wire, not cricket ball preventative finer wire mesh netting at this point.
Action: Clerk and PJ to work with MW to find 2 more people to quote.
Zip wire: we have 3 quotes for consideration at a future meeting.
Scalpings at the car park: are in place and just need to be spread out
Action: Clerk : D Roden to be approached to do this.
The ‘to do’ list: quotes for painting the exterior of the Pavilion, loo block, playground items.
Car park posts need replacing in the near future.
River bank is collapsing, needs liaison with the Environment Agency before repairs are made. MWg suggested using gabion baskets there to prevent future collapses.
Action; PJ will keep in contact with the EA to check that their survey mapping exercise of the river as part of their flood survey includes this part of the brook in terms of flood management.
At this point MW declared an interest in the additional football pitch spec that he had circulated. He asked if there were any questions. It was suggested that the area should be able to be utilised by other sports should they wish to use it. It was resolved that the football club could go ahead and implement the second pitch as per their plans.

8. Kemble Centre – update and discussion on moving the electricity pole; outstanding works required to the building.
Lease: we are still waiting for the lawyers to finalise the lease. It will be sent to the PC and then can be gone through with ACCC. Hopefully by the end of the week we should have eyes on the actual document. Ultimately the lease will need signing off by the whole PC – ideally at the April meeting, but an extraordinary meeting could be called just to pass the lease as fast as possible to assist ACCC to proceed with all haste.
Moving the electricity pole: clerk to ask that the new pole does not go right in front of the building, can we get it put to the side slightly?
A report on the outstanding works to be done at the KC before getting the lease signed had been submitted. CS felt that much of the work was the delamination of the wood below some of the windows. There was also some remediation work needed to be done to some of the brickwork. It was felt that this was settlement over the years and that it was not a huge concern. In regard to the need to replace the ply wood under the windows, it was possibly that this job could easily been done. CS and MWg will meet with a carpenter on site to look at this.

9. Lengthsman
To receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish.
Currently completed the work to date, now about to start on the work at the Wigga as per the quote already approved by both the PC and BB. This will use the last of the drainage grant and necessitate some further funding by the PC.
King St is also in need of attention and the work on this area has been quoted as being £4,152. This job will need liaison with BB as their team have already been out to look at the problems there. It was confirmed that there is still approx. £4,000 left in the lengthsman budget for this year and so it was resolved to push forward with this job – in conjunction with talks with BB. All were in agreement.

10. Community Resilience Plan / Covid 19
CRP group met this week to discuss what the plan would look like. There is a template from the Herefordshire Council which they will utilise. CP is also keen to get parishoners more involved.

How we work better with youngsters in the community – do we need a youth member on the Parish Council? CP was interested in engaging both the Primary School and Secondary School. SP offered to go into the Primary School to talk to them.

11. Finance
11.1 Balance as at 01.02.21 in Current Acct: £24,681.52 Reserve acct 29.01.21: £78,581.08
11.2 To authorise payments to be made including: CT Groundcare:£110; HAGs: £1,957.20; ICO: £40; L Chance: £434.65; Martin Watkins Ltd: various electrical works in the pavilion; £1,692; JM Probert: £75: Glasdon: £79.21;
11.3 To authorise regular payments including: Clerks Salary; Direct debit; ICO: £40; SSE;
11.4 To confirm monies received: None. Although the FC fed back the Covid Grant that we received for the library – we are questioning whether or not we should keep this as we are not losing money on it.
Action: Clerk to verify if we can keep the grant.
11.5 Grant requests for consideration: Ewyas Harold Telephone Kiosk – clerk to check if the contractor is VAT registered, so do we pay them directly.
Memorial Hall Kitchen.

Proposed to make these payments: all in agreement.

Action: Clerk to make these payments.

11 Roads
Road safety improvements – letter received from Balfour Beatty indicating that roundels might be an option at the entrance to the village, these all vary in size and cost, if the PC confirm that we want to move forward with them, then we will get appropriate costs for what is allowed in the village.

Bollard is still not cleaned and the knocked over speed sign is still lying on the side of the road. Clerk to chase up locality steward (again) to get these actioned.

Pavement on the Pontrials Rd is very poor, the pavement has pot holes. Collapsed drain cover is also a problem – Clerk to ask SP for more details.

Foot bridge below Mount Pleasant Cottage is in a very poor state of repair, but currently PJ has not had a response as it crosses the English Welsh border. AC to drop a note to the Monmouth Council.

12.  Assisting dog owners with their responsibilities
The 4 new bins are all in place and are being well used. Our new bin emptying person is even considering doing 2 empties per week.

Suggestion of a new bin at Elmdale, SP will look at a possible site. The PC resolved to purchase a new bin.

Action: Clerk to order a new bin to go up at this site to be delivered to MW. SP to approach Spencer Duggan to fit it.

13 Allotments – consideration of provision of these with in the parish.
LO circulated a report on Mrs Roberts kind offer of land. It was thought that this is not an ideal space as a public allotment, but it was suggested that we let the offer be known to those on our waiting list as a couple of people would be ideally suited to that location.
Action: LO to draft an email for circulation to our prospective allotmentees for the clerk to circulate. This to be sent to Mrs Roberts, Jenny Bond and Marion Stainton first for their input.
Herefordshire Council has moved the management of their allotments to an allotment association, LO has been in contact with them to find out their advice on setting up and running an allotment.

14 Railway station update:
Nothing further to report.

15 Informing parishoners of the work of the GPC including social media.
AC confirmed what was on his list to report: football club extra pitch, resilience plan, youth voice idea, wood chip still available, thanks for using the bins and keeping our village safe.

16 To raise matters for the next agenda : As per this agenda.

17 To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 13th April 2021 on Zoom.

The May meeting should be happening in person as long as we can provide a safe space to meet.

Meeting closed at 21.13

Signed:_________________________________ Date: ________________