Minutes May 2020

Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo
Tuesday 12th May 2020,
Finance Committee meeting: 7.45pm on Zoom

Finance Committee:
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Clive Stainton (CS), Sarah Eynon (SE), Malcolm Watkins (MW); Clerk: Sophie Glover
Finance sheet had been circulated to all cllrs.
Chair explained that the council were keen to get tourism going again in the county. If this is to happen, then toilets need to be opened.
The Committee had looked through the accounts for 2019/2020 and were happy with them going to internal audit.
The committee agreed with the cheques that were being submitted for authorisation and with their authorisation.

Parish Council meeting: 8pm on Zoom.
Meeting started: 8.03
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair from item 2.), Clive Stainton (CS), Sarah Eynon (SE), Alex Culpin (AC); Malcolm Watkins (MW), Liz Overstall (LO) ; Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg); Sally Probert (SP); Clerk: Sophie Glover.
1. To accept apologies for absence.
Stephen Clayton;
2. Election of Chair:
Nomination: Peter Jinman
Nominated by: CS Seconded: SE
All councillors were in agreement
Election of Vice Chair:
Nomination: Clive Stainton
Nominated by: PJ Seconded:LO
All councillors were in agreement
PJ signed his acceptance of office form, to be forwarded to the clerk.
3. Review of other appointments ie footpaths officer (FO); internal auditor;
The EHGPC were keen to keep Graham as their FO, the PC wanted to express their thanks for his sterling work as their FO over the past 12 months.
CS seconded. All were in agreement.
Internal auditor: clerk to approach an accountant to be in this role for this. All were in agreement for this route forward.
Action: Clerk to identify and recruit an internal auditor.
4. Remind cllrs to update their notice of Registerable interests; Done.
5. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
6. To consider minutes of the previous meeting – 14.04.20. All were in agreement that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting.
Item 4: LO had asked the Parish Council what to do about her concerns about the lack of PPE at Dulas Care home, PJ suggested writing to her MP, she did write and actually got a response, although it was a rather vague response!
LO thanked a group of local people who have taken it upon themselves to make PPE for their local care home. The PC agreed with her sentiments.
Matters arising: Open Forum
6.1. To receive a brief report from the Ward Councillor.
The Chair mentioned that the effect of Corona Virus on the Counties budgets will be vast. As yet actual figures are not known but as soon as they are released, we will be informed. Furlough is to be continued until October but with employers to support the funding. Increasing unemployment is expected.
PJ thanked Kevin Michael for coordinating the various local groups to great effect. SP asked for a letter of thanks to go out to Kevin to let him know that his efforts are appreciated.
Action: Clerk to do this, also asking him to pass on thanks to the community groups that he is working with.
PJ asked people to remember that a number of these ‘’hero’ businesses were struggling before this crisis, but they have proved just how important they are to the local people. MPs are pushing to support them going forward.
Flooding: Letter from HC has been circulated to all those affected by the floods. There are grants available and they need to put their names forward for assistance.
Getting the public involved in meetings: Council meetings are being streamed on youtube, but at the moment there is no thought to putting PC meetings out this way.
PJ has put in the response from the request for there to be lighting at the new development beyond the fire station all the way along that road to the village. He has pushed for S106 monies to be used for this.
6.2 To receive a brief report from the local police team:
A report had been received and circulated electronically.
7. Corona Virus and the Group of Parishes
Nothing further.
8. Finance
8.1. Balance as at 01.04.20 in Current Acct: £9,447.74 Reserve acct: £62,696.72
8.2. To review the 2019/20 end of year accounts
Finance group has moved to put monies aside to put £20 to £30k aside for the repair and maintenance of the play area. PJ asked the recreation group to look at what needs to be refurbished.
£10k to be moved from the savings accounts to the current account.
Kemble Centre will take up to £10k to bring up to standard, (electricity and refurbishment inc toilets) We would then hope to rent it out to recoup some of these costs. There has been no movement from the Dr’s or social services, so the idea would be to go into the 12yr lease with the Arts Co-operative people with a break clause half way.
Lengthsman: there will be funding put aside for further lengthsman work. There are a number of bigger jobs that need to be addressed in the Parishes and with our reserves we can now look at undertaking them.
PJ asked for other suggestions – including the SID – to get spending authorised. SP asked for a budget for the SID, PJ said identify what we want and we will work out how to fund it. SP confirmed that the SID was requested for coming into the village from Pontrilas.
8.3. To authorise the following payments:
Lengthsman, D Roden for work at Rowlestone £4,364.40
CT Groundcare Rec Ground and Kemble Centre grass cutting £ 418.00 Herefordshire Fire Alarms: £ 120.00
Herefordshire Council: Election costs: £ 203.93
Proposed: PJ Seconded: MW
All agreed
8.4. Authorisation of regular payments: Clerks salary, Paye;
All agreed.
8.5. Monies received: On 17.04.20 First half of precept £23,427;
During the epidemic, cheques will be completed and signed by CS and PJ and forwarded to the clerk for posting having been approved by the EHGPC.
9. Planning
9.1. To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
None to date.
9.2. To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council: None to date
10. Recreation ground/pavilion: play area closed until further notice
A tree had fallen across the river and landed partially in the rec area. The land owner and Nick CT had acted very promptly to get it cleared away and made safe.
MWg suggested getting planeings deposited at the parking area to get this finished off. This was agreed by all.
AC asked if there was any idea when the play area might reopen? PJ thought that it would be up Government when they said so.
LO has some trees to be planted along the stream at the rec. She asked for support in getting stakes and tree guards. MWg suggested that they should be planted somewhere damp for now and then planted out in the autumn/winter months. PJ asked MWg to assist if LO needed a hand putting in stakes. She asked for consideration on the PC spending some monies on carefully thought out trees for planting at the Kemble Centre as it is the centre of the village.
11. Lengthsman
11.1. To receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish. A parishioner had e mailed in to ask if a kissing gate / self closing gate could be installed where there was currently a stile. The area is under the Pontrilas Court Farm estate.
Action: clerk to write to Savills – the agents to ask if we could do this, there is already a swinging gate at the other end of the path in the field, so it was hoped that the land owner would be amenable to this.
There is also a nasty step down to the bridge just down the stream from this. PJ asked MWg to get on and do this.
12. Kemble Centre
12.1. Any update: nothing more to add.
13. Dr Surgery: Defibrillator at doctor’s surgery is now working. PJ thanked MW for ‘lending’ us the one from Rowlestone until our new one comes in from the USA.
14. Road safety.
14.1. Road safety improvements: Clerk to send SH the information about SID’s.
15. Website: Authorisation sought for ‘compliance with accessibility regulations’ update.
All were in favour for the clerk to go ahead with booking our website in with Mark Millimore for an update.
16. Flood prevention and contingency planning
New funding is now available and people just have to keep pushing to get their payments
17. To raise matters for the next agenda : no discussion.
New station. Recruitment of new Cllrs.
18. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 9th June 2020.
Meeting closed at 21.15