Minutes Nov 2020

Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo

Tuesday 10th November 2020,
Finance Committee meeting: 6.45pm on Zoom

Present: Councillors Clive Stainton (CS), (in the chair), Sarah Eynon (SE); Peter Jinman (PJ) (from 6.55pm)

Finance sheet had been circulated to all cllrs. Meeting started at 6.45 pm

1. To accept apologies for absence. PJ joined at 6.55pm
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
CS declared an interest in the Dore Valley discussion.
3. Consider minutes of previous meeting
None and all happy with the minutes.

4. Finance
Nat West Business Current account: 30.10.20 £ 29,434.93
Nat West Business Reserve account: 30.10.20 £ 78,577.87
4.1. To consider outstanding invoices
CT Groundcare: £ 468.00
Glasdon Uk Ltd £ 737.53
Mr & Mrs BE Chance (Rec loo cleaning) £ 465.00
Welsh Water £ 18.65
Mrs F White (Playground inspection) £ 58.60
David Roden (Lengthsman) see below * £ 44.00
Liz Overstall – trees for KC and parish £ 276.55

*Invoice from the Lengthsman for the work that has been done in Sept/Oct has been received, for £2,860. Cheque for £2,816 was signed prior to invoice, leaving £44.00 outstanding.

Dore Community Transport asked for consideration for a grant, SE suggested paying the same as last year ie £700. Agreed by PJ who wanted to ask the PC to consider increasing the payment to £1000.

Confirmed payments from last month

Came & Company insurance £1,965.29

Proposed: CS Seconded: SE

The committee agreed with the cheques that were being submitted for authorisation and with their authorisation.

4.2. To approve regular payments schedule and Direct Debits
Clerks salary and expenses;
It was resolved to agree to all of these payments.

Action: Clerk to action these agreed payments.

4.3. To acknowledge receipts.
Monies received: Second half of the precept: £23,427.00

4.4. To review 20/21 expenditure and consider the precept for 2021/22
Precept discussion deferred to the December meeting.

5. To raise matters for the next agenda:
Precept setting discussion – cllrs to consider any project that they suggest the PC undertakes for inclusion in this finance discussion.
6. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 8th December 2020

Meeting closed at 6.57pm

Ewyas Harold Group Parish Council meeting:
7.05pm on Zoom.

Draft Minutes
Meeting started: 7.03
Present: Councillors: Clive Stainton (CS) (in the chair), Malcolm Watkins (MW); Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg); Liz Overstall (LO) Sarah Eynon (SE);Connor Price (CP) Sally Probert (SP) Alex Culpin (AC);Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk), Fiona Witcher; Angela Thoo. Carey Godwin.(who all left the meeting at 7.15pm)
Peter Jinman (PJ) attended as the Ward Cllr, but due to having had surgery in the afternoon, he did not participate in the rest of the meeting.
1. To accept apologies for absence.
Stephen Clayton;

2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
MWg– is working with the Lengthsman doing the road works, so he is working with the Lengthsman as a private individual including the hiring of him as a labourer and he has many machines that are of great asset to the jobs undertaken.

All cllrs were happy with this position.

Malcolm Watkins declared an interest in one of the items in agenda point 5.

3. To consider minutes of the previous meeting – 13.10.20. All were in agreement that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting. The Chair will sign the minutes when there is a physical meeting again.

4. Matters arising: open forum
4.1 Matters arising actioned or on the agenda apart from: Kissing gate on Pontrilas Court Farm; Site has been visited with the Land Steward, all agreed on the placement of a kissing gate, as long as there is no cost to the estate.
Street lights: clerk still awaiting a response from Balfour Beatty.

Action: clerk to order a gate and get it delivered to MW for him and the lengthsman to fit.

4.2 To receive a brief report from the Ward Councillor/PC Chair.
PJ talked about a meeting about flooding for all agencies involved in the issue. He will attend to be the voice of the village.
He also made a plea about Covid – emphasising the importance of looking after each other in the villages.

4.3 To receive views of local residents on parish matters;
None were put forward.

4.4 To receive a report from PCSO – FW reported that some petrol had been stolen from a vehicle in Ewyas Harold – this is being looked into.
The vehicle that has been reported as speeding each morning has been tracked down and the driver visited. SP thanked the police for their very speedy response to this problem.

4.5 To receive report from footpath officer – nothing to report this month.

5. Planning
a. To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
203030: Park Lodge, Pontrilas Proposed conversion of adjacent barn to form extension to existing house.
PC agreed to having no objection on this application. (Support) all in favour.
203333: Land at Poplars Meadow, Ewyas Harold Proposed new 2 storey house.
MW thought that it was too big in relation to properties around it. Other cllrs agreed.
The Parish Council objected to this application due to the danger of the access to the property – the access point is right on a very dangerous corner and the PC would urge the planning department to consider how access could be made more safe. EHGPC feel strongly that as it stands, the visibility is not sufficient being restricted by the corner, the Council are surprised that the Highways department have not put forward any objections or conditions based on the lack of visibility. We are happy that the conditions need to be met before any building works commence. (Object) .

LO to put some words together and will work with the clerk in finalising the PC’s submission.

203504; Penyrhoel Farm, Walterstone Proposed livestock buildings an covered manure store.
MW left the meeting before the discussion.
EHGPC supported the application.

203630; 4 Callowside, Ewyas Harold Reserved matters for proposed detached 2 storey dwelling.
EHGPC supports this application.

Concerns about the new build at The Coach House, Dark Lane.
LO had also received complaints, in addition to the email sent to the clerk. PJ has sent in todays letter to the planning department, and they will be speaking to the builder and doing a site visit in the next 10 days.
It was resolved to send in a further e mail voicing the PC’s concerns to the planning officer.

b. To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council:
None to discuss.

6. Recreation ground/pavilion: play area now Open
6.1 Update on the rec:
MW : the playground remain open through the lock down, they are still being cleaned in accordance with the county guidelines.
Playground Inspection has been undertaken by ‘Parks and Playgrounds’, identifying a wide number of jobs that need to be done, although there are no individual items that pose a high risk at this time. We need to priorities the jobs for undertaking next year. He suggested approaching HAGs to look at the cost of replacing the items identified. He felt that the PC needed to be proactive in sorting out the issues. He asked for authorisation to push on and get the work sorted out. All cllrs supported him in this. He was asked to look to get some numbers for the precept setting budget in December.

A quote has been received to put a zip line on the rec, at approx. £11,000 before VAT. We do of course to need to get 2 further quotes before pushing ahead with this element. Before this MW asked if at that cost cllrs thought it was worth going ahead with – they were very keen, thinking that it was a great idea.
The location of the zip line was discussed, and this will continue to be considered in the future. CS will ask the insurers if implementing a zip line will alter our insurance premiums.

Grass cutting has now come to an end, although he does have other jobs to do for the Parish Council in the coming months.

The electrician has not quite finished the electrics at the rec, when he comes back he will fit the new defibrillator cabinet at the Dr surgery.

Action; Clerk to Add refurbishing the rec to the next agenda.clerk to find some one to fix the window at the Cricket pavilion.

7. Lengthsman
7.1 To receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish.
MWg had received that evening 3 further invoices from the lengthsman. The ditch from the memorial hall to Pontrilas has now been completed.
The lengthsman and MWg were up by LO’s property today, on Mill Lane, clearing the gullies. They found and resolved a number of issues and will need to spend a second day there tomorrow. They will then move on to King St and then the Wigga to ensure that the water is moved off the local lanes. MWg asked for a load of planings to finish off the jobs – all of the councillors agreed to this expenditure. It was agreed to get a second load of plainings to put on the rec car park.

Damage to roads by agricultural vehicles: he does not want to do all this work to the gullies only to have large vehicles drive back into them – he will try to identify possible danger sites and look at putting pipes in there.

7.2 Pontrilas bridge: The road going into Pontrilas village has 2 alleviation arches going under it. The current exceptional weather has on very rare occasions sent the water over the road, which is very dangerous. There is a considerable build up of debris on these arches and MWg wanted to raise the potential danger of not getting these cleared.

SP had sent in concerns about a bridge that was eroded – PJ had passed this on to the locality steward – so that this is now in hand.

SP also reported terrible pot holes on Dark Lane. All cllrs were reminded of the Balfour Beatty ap that lets any one report a pot hole.

8. Kemble Centre
8.1 Update from working group :– we had hit a problem with the land registry in that the site had not be registered correctly. This is currently being corrected, but until it happens we can not issue a lease. We are still holding to our initial target of having the KC open by May of next year.
KG; the planning application is being completed at the moment. The drawings are being put together as well, it is hoped that they will be submitted next week. FW is selling stuff that they don’t need as yet to raise funds for the build – mainly fabric at the moment.
SP: suggested putting a war memorial in the gardens so that there was some point in the village that in more usual times people could congregate at.
LO: this used to be a working church and perhaps a memorial could help people to remember this.
Next steering group meeting is on Monday 16th November at 4.15pm.

9. Community Resilience Plan / Covid 19
CP: explained how Rev Mark and PJ had met with him to look at what other parishes are doing on this.
He is working with PJ to look at how to utilise the possible grant to implement the resilience plan.

10. Finance
10.1. Balance as in the Finance Committee minutes
10.2. To authorise payments to be made: As in the finance minutes.
10.3. To authorise regular payments: As in the finance minutes.

Proposed to make these payments: all in agreement.

Action: Clerk to make these payments.

10.4. To agree increase in payroll fees for 2021-22
Going up from £80 to £120 – all were in agreement.

10.5 Monies received: £23,427 2nd half of precept.

10.6 Precept setting 2021 – 2022 – deferred to the December meeting.

11. Roads
11.1 Road safety improvements – speed signs have been sent out to SP for sticking on the wheelie bins. The PC are going to push BB to look to put the speed on the road, PJ will be talking with them tomorrow. SP will bring ideas and thoughts to the next meeting for reducing speed.

11.2 Tractors causing road damage – already dealt with.

11.3 Letter to companies about speeding in the village. Clerk has sent out a list of local business and asked the cllrs for their own information
Action: cllrs to feed back with local information to the clerk – contact names in the various companies.

12. Assisting dog owners with their responsibilities:
4 bins purchase for this and delivered to SP. Dark Lane corner is owned by HC, so we need to get them to authorise it before we put a bin there. It was suggested to go to the locality steward to get his assistance in authorising the placements.
Action: Clerk to talk to locality steward.

13. Railway station update: CS said that there was now a 90 page report ready. The date for the station to be in place is set for 2024. The cost of the station looks like being split 50:50 with local council and the government. A further meeting is due to happen next week to push ahead with this.

14. Informing parishoners of the work of the GPC including social media. SP had noticed that other councils have their own social media accounts, or to approach the current holder of the village social media site to get him on board.
CP agreed, he wondered about trying to bring the library in on this.
AC thought that having a dedicated Face Book page was a good idea.
PJ also discussed the idea of bringing back a newsletter as there were many in the village who did not use social media. LO is happy to do this when the Covid problems are more under control.
SP working with CP will take this away and look further at it for the December meeting.
MWg: wanted to let people know that when they are out doing work that they were parish lengthsman – he asked for a couple of signs to this effect. All were in agreement. He will look for the cost of these signs.
Action: SP and CP to look at social media and Parish Councils. MWg to cost signs both for the next meeting.

15. To raise matters for the next agenda :
Precept. Cllrs to bring costing of any projects for the following year.
Placement of telephone receiver in the old school yard – should be out as a planning application in the next weeks.
Defib cabinet.

16. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 8th December 2020.

Meeting closed at 20.55

Signed:_________________________________ Date: ________________