Minutes October 2021

Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo

Tuesday 12thOctober 2021,
Finance Committee meeting: 6.30pm
At Rowlestone Village Hall.

Present: Councillors Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Sarah Eynon (SE); Clive Stainton.

Finance sheet had been circulated to all cllrs. Meeting started 6.45pm

1. To accept apologies for absence.
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
None received.
3. Consider minutes of previous meeting – September 2021
All were happy that the minutes were a true representation of the meeting.

4. Finance
Nat West Business Current account: 01.10.21 £ 57,563.47
Nat West Business Reserve account: 01.10.21 £ 68,585.14
4.1. To consider outstanding invoices
CT Groundcare (September) £ 527.00
Mrs Chance (cleaning loos) £ 450.00
JM Probert (emptying bins) £ 100.00
PKF Accountants (Audit) £ 360.00

Proposed:CS Seconded: SE

Recommend Payment all in agreement

To agree Proposed expenditure:

It was noted that Cheque 1897 to Three Counties Roofing had not been presented so it was cancelled on 24.09.21 as they had not completed all of their work. The clerk had tried to contact them through e mail and telephone to no avail. No further cheques to be issued to them until the work is completed.

4.2. To approve regular payments schedule : Clerks salary and expenses; and Direct Debits:-
Herefordshire Council bins £163.67
Recommend the spending above.

Proposed: CS Seconded: SE

It was resolved to agree to all of these payments.

Proposed: PJ Seconded: SE All were in agreement.
Each item was looked at as a separate expenditure.

Action: Clerk to action these agreed payments.

4.3. To acknowledge receipts. £22,000 received as payment for the second half of precept.

5. To consider the Precept for 2022 to 23
It was thought that the Finance Committee should suggest an increase of just over 3% on last year to cover inflation bringing in the precept at £45,500.
The Chair also wanted to ensure that the PC have the funds to meet increasing community costs in 2022 to 2023.

6. To look at what monies to move to the PWLB as parish council reserves.
It was decided to move all the monies from the reserve account to the PWLB.

7. To raise matters for the next agenda: None.

8. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 9th November 2021

The committee agreed with the cheques that were being submitted to the PC for authorisation.

Meeting closed at 7pm

Ewyas Harold Group Parish Council meeting:
7.00pm At Rowlestone Village Hall.

Draft Minutes

Meeting started: 7.01 pm
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair): Sarah Eynon (SE); Malcolm Watkins (MW); Alex Culpin (AC); Liz Overstall (LO); Clive Stainton (CS); Sally Probert (SP) Stephen Clayton (SC)
Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk), Terry Talbot – Footpaths officer (TT); David Roden (Lengthsman)2 prospective Cllrs and 3 parishoners.

1. To accept apologies for absence.
Connor Price (CP);
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.

– MW for his parents in law’s invoice for cleaning the loos on the rec.
– SP for the invoice for bin emptying in the village, which is done by her husband.
– 3.3 The chair and MW have connections with Young Farmers.

All cllrs were happy with this position.

– The Chair had previously declared an interest in the item at 12.5 but the grant application form was not submitted for this meeting so will be moved to the November one.

3. 3.1. To consider minutes of the previous meeting – Sept 2021. All were in agreement that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting. The Chair duly agreed to sign them. Proposed MW seconded: CS
Action: Chair to sign the minutes.

3.2 Matters arising from these: either addressed, on the agenda or actions list apart from: Rec hedge cutting; Playground inspection – this has been scheduled to be done in the next few weeks.
Insurance: It was proposed to retain insurance with the lower premium, going with Hiscox. Moved from the chair Seconded: SC all in favour. It was agreed to pay the premium for this insurance cover.

3.3 Matters raised between meetings ; Pontrilas YFC tractor run in December. LO had voiced concerns about tractors going down the hill at Dulas, this had been passed onto young farmers who had noted the concerns.

4. Co-option of Councillors

Michael Fenton from Dulas has expressed an interest in becoming a Parish Councillor. As had Will Lloyd from Ewyas Harold. Both had submitted paragraphs about themselves that had been circulated to all cllrs prior to the meeting. The Chair introduced them both and welcomed them to the meeting tonight. He hoped that at the end of the meeting they would still interested in joining the PC, in which case he would hope that the EHGPC would vote them in at the November meeting.
CS explained that this would be his last meeting as he was moving to London for a time and that he has submitted his resignation from the Parish Council.
LO asked what would happen to the train station initiative, she was told that the Chair was very involved, and he would still keep his finger on this one. CS will also be doing any thing that he can to assist from London. PJ explained that the station was currently on a bit of a back burner as the Government is looking at their budgets.
Action: Clerk to file his resignation with the Electoral Services offices.

5. Open forum for public comment:
A member of the public asked about the padlock at the Cricket Pavilion which had been replaced by the Parish Council last year. He was very upset at the Cricket field being dug up, but it was explained that the PC had tried to contact the Cricket Club for over 18 months to no avail. The Chair explained that if some one wanted to start up another Cricket Club, they would need to put in a proper proposal with a committee structure for the PC to consider.
ACCC had prepared a report which was read out – a copy of which can be obtained from the clerk.
The paper questioned if the Parish Council wanted to let ACCC have the lease or if the PC had an alternative agenda.
PJ reminded the PC that there was absolutely an intent to let ACCC have a lease. All details of discussions with the organisation have been given to the solicitors to put into the lease, it is believed that this will happen this week, but no date has actually been supplied. Assuming that both sides agree with the content of the proposed lease, it is hoped that the thing could be signed (along with the most current plan agreed by both parties) having gone to ACCC’s solicitors this week – with the time frame supplied by the PC’s solicitors.
LO said that the PC had addressed both the electrics and the roof – whilst accepting that the flashing and barge boards are still outstanding to be completed, as is the putting in of heating which ACCC have agreed undertake.

6. To receive a brief report from :
6.1 the Ward Councillor/PC Chair.
PJ told the meeting that the problems with the bridge to the sewage farm has been ongoing for months, but after many calls and e mails, today he finally heard from Welsh Water who say that they want to come out and look at the bridge and to see what they can do to rectify the situation.
The environment agency has received a report about the contamination of the brook below the unit. Citizen’s science group have a meeting next week and they will continue to take samples to check on the pollution in these water courses. SP suggested that the school might be interested in being involved with this sampling – to help raise awareness. MW informed the meeting that there were meetings recorded on You Tube showing what local companies are doing to try to address this problem.
The leader of the Council’s newsletter has indicated that there have been a number of changes with key personnel at the Council.
Today PJ has been up to Lower House at Rowlestone to look at the work that the lengthsman has been doing for the last couple of days there. He was very appreciative of the work that had been undertaken. King St will be the next job that the lengthsman tackles and hopefully this will happen before winter. Cherry Tree Close is another area with road problems that we will look at as soon as we can.
It has been made public that Gigaclear will not be providing Broadband to many of the rural parishes in Herefordshire and Gloucestershire, not being able to complete their contract. PJ will be meeting with Jessie Norman and others this week to look at what the Parishes can do on their own behalf to try and get broadband coverage.
Action: PJ will continue to chase this up with the Council.

6.2 To receive a report from PCSO – None supplied.

6.3 To receive report from footpath officer – Terry Talbot had submitted a report that had been circulated to all. The Chair thanked him for his detailed reports and added that the photos were a real asset to draw Cllrs attention to problems that he had found.
He drew the cllrs attention to the route of EH4 currently not being that which is being walked – the land owner has agreed to cut back and move some falling over trees which will allow walkers not to be right beside the river but actually following the correct path higher up.
TT has a good working relationship with Paul Norris (Locality Steward) and now logs all footpath concerns on the Balfour Beatty web site, this gives them a job number which he can put with each of the jobs to keep track of them. He was keen to ensure that his list of jobs with BB is similar to the list that the PC has.
MW indicated that Balfour Beatty needed to be held to account for jobs that they should be doing. TT reporting jobs on the official site is definitely the way forward as this logs the jobs on to their system.
Concerns were raised at the meeting about the danger of the exposed gate and pipe at EH4 at Trappe House, Councillors expressed concern that the restoration works near the exposed pipe and gate frame near the foot bridge be sufficiently robust in time to resist winter flood conditions. DR to quote to do remedial work here and it was thought that the PC can then approach Balfour Beatty to pay for it. TT to consult with Paul Norris to see what level of support BB would give to this.
Action: clerk to keep the lengthsman ‘to do’ list up to date. DR to confirm his quote for EH4 work.

7. Action List for Councillors – PJ to approach the Dentists to see if we can put the car park sign on her wall.

8. Kemble Centre – facias to be contracted out to another supplier. Jamie Probert will go up and see what has actually been done up there. Barge boards will be quoted for. LO will keep chasing this.

Action: LO to drive the finishing off the roof jobs. JP to check the existing work on the roof.

9. Planning
9.1 To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
None.

9.2 To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council:– None

10. Recreation ground/pavilion:
Update on the rec, pavilion and play area.
Including zip wire should be coming on 25th November.
Playground surface deterioration. MW is asking the provider to come out on site to give a more exact quote.
Fire extinguishers have been checked this week – all were fine.
Car park expansion is still ongoing – SE asked for assistance in defining exactly how big the PC want the car park to be. LO asked for consideration to be given for a grant application for the carpark, the toilets, planting etc.
LO has been looking at the toilets that Mike Wrigglesworth had suggested. Rather than buying a new toilet block she suggested refurbishing what was there. This was agreed by those present.
Bin on the rec to move to be emptied every other week over the winter period. – clerk to action.
Put on the website that the toilets are still being regularly cleaned and disinfected as the PC is taking their responsibilities seriously.
There has been a few comments that the hedge cuttings were left on the playground and we need to ask for these to be cleared off.
There has been a bit of a litter issue on the rec, but this has been addressed with local knowledge.
Action:– MW and SE

11. Lengthsman
To receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish. DR told the meeting of the danger of the side of the brook at Lower House Rd, Rowlestone. There is significant work to be done there. The chair explained that if we end up doing the work there, then we will need to received funds from Hereford Council for doing so. The chair thanked the land owner there for his assistance in giving DR access to the site and for taking the spoil from the work that he has done.
Drain is blocked on Pontrilas Rd, SP will send photos to the clerk for submission to Balfour Beatty.

12. Finance
12.1 Balance as in the Finance Committee minutes.
12.2 To authorise payments to be made as in the finance committee minutes.
12.3 To authorise regular payments (as listed in the finance committee minutes)
12.4 To confirm monies received: As listed in finance committee minutes.
12.5 Grant requests for consideration: Cattle grid. (not submitted for this meeting)
12.6 Discussion on precept for 2022-23 It was suggested that we add just over 3% to precept for last year, bringing it up to £45,500. This will be bought back to the November meeting.
Go back 3 yrs to look at underspending in each area – Clerk to action.
12.7 Agreement on funds to be moved to PWLB as reserves. It was moved to move all of our monies from the reserve account to this new savings option.

Proposed to make these payments: all in agreement.

Action: Clerk to make these payments.

Proposed: MW Seconded : SC
With the resignation of CS, SE reminded the meeting that we will need another signatory and member of the Finance Committee – SP was invited as a signatory already to join this Committee – she said that she would in the short term.
The Chair thanked CS for his years of service on the Parish Council.

13. Community Resilience Plan / Covid 19
CP had circulated a draft of the plan to all councillors. He was not at the meeting but the Chair reminded the meeting that CP was looking for their assistance in putting names to positions in the plan.
The Chair asked cllrs to send the clerk a list of names of trades people from the area that the PC might use.

14. Roads
Road safety and improvements. Flood alleviation measures (flood grants – SE suggested that there might be flood grants now available – clerk to check further, sand bags), double yellow lines.
To discuss putting more roundels in other situations in the village. MW has been approached by parishoners who wanted to get a further roundel at the Abbydore Rd as you come into the 30 zone. Also on the Longtown Rd. Clerk to send out a map of the village for people to mark where they want the
SID – it was suggested that we look for another site for the SID, so that we can alternate sites.
Action: clerk to contact Ian Connolly to come to the village and identify more speed controls that we could put in.

The Chair asked cllrs if they were happy to keep the meeting running over their allotted 2hrs. All agreed.

15. Standing orders: Moved to next meeting.

16. Adoption of new code of conduct. Moved to next meeting.

17. Discussion on renaming the Parish Council, also allocation of numbers of cllrs to parishes. As said at the last meeting, the EHGPC will keep its name and the set numbers of cllrs for each parish.

18. Informing parishoners of the work of the GPC including social media.
AC will post on social media the good news items for the PC.

19. To raise matters for the next agenda : As per this agenda . Clerks appraisal and salary discussion.

20. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 09.11.21 Meeting closed at 21.08

Signed:_________________________________ Date: ________________

Future parish council meeting dates for 2021/22:

Tuesday 9th November 7pm
Tuesday 14th December 7pm
Dates for 2022 Tuesday 11th January 7pm
Tuesday 8th February 7pm
Tuesday 8th March 7pm