Minutes September 2017


Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council that will be held on Tuesday 12th September 2017 at 6.30pm at Rowelstone Village Hall


Present: Cllr P. Jinman, Chairman, Cllr S Eynon (EH), Cllr M Wrigglesworth (EH), Cllr M Watkins (R), Cllr L Overstall (D),  Cllr R Evans (D).

In attendance:  Graham Robinson (Parish Paths Officer), Fiona Witcher & PC Roger Bradley (Golden Valley Safer Neighbourhood Team), a member of the public and Claire Griffiths (Clerk)


1 To accept Apologies for Absence
Cllr C Pogston (L), Cllr S Clayton (R). Terry Griffiths (Lengthsman)


2 To receive Declarations of Interest & Dispensation Applications

Cllr Jinman declared a non-pecuniary interest as Ward Councillor

3 To consider Minutes of the Previous Meeting – 11th July 2017
The Minutes of the Meeting held on 11th July 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated to Members, were confirmed as a true record and signed by the Chairman with one amendment to item number 9.  The Neighbourhood Development Plan has been approved and is currently waiting for Regulation 16 approval.


4 Open Forum
4.1  To receive brief report from the Local Policing Team

Cllr Jinman welcomed the Golden Valley Safer Neighbourhood Team.  There has been a number of thefts locally from farm and outbuildings. The team urge everyone to please ensure that outbuildings are locked. The team were asked if it was legal to take photos of strangers and their vehicles that made people feel uncomfortable on their property. PC Bradley advised that it is completely legal and that you do not need to ask permission from the individual to do so.   It was requested that the team put legal information regarding this and CCTV in their newsletter.

Peterchurch Police Station is closing and the police force are sharing with the Fire Brigade at Peterchurch.

Police are endeavouring to be seen in public much more, they will be wearing body cameras and using the 4G that has been rolled out to be in the public eye more.

Complaints on speeding on the A465 and Pontilas road, and Dulas – Ewyas Harold Road.  PC Bradley said he would try and spend some time in these areas.

One of the current priorities on the police website is speeding in rural villages, the police are asking, if there is a persistent offender, please let them know the persons name, address, vehicle registration or if they have a particular time of day they speed that is regular, eg on the way home from work.

The team also discussing the “Light it Up” campaign which is aimed at all road users from bikes to tractors ensuring that vehicles are lit properly.

4.2  To receive brief report from the Ward Councillor

Cllr Jinman acknowledge that his is the Ward Councillor, and will be briefed this coming Thursday.

4.3  To receive brief report from Parish Paths Officer

Graham met with Paul Norris from Balfour Beatty and provided a very comprehensive report of the footpaths he has walked and checked recently.  The GPC thanked Graham for taking on this role and his excellent report and look forward to working with him.  Graham was asked to include the GPC in reports he made to Balfour Beatty so that we can continue to work together.

Balfour Beatty have a flyer explaining landowners responsibilities.  Action: Clerk to contact and ask for Electronic copy.  There is also an Enforcement Office within Balfour Beatty and someone who can find out who landowners are. Priority will start with the Herefordshire Trail, and the clerk will be writing to landowners to notify them of repairs needed.  Action: Clerk

Clerk to keep a log of all reports that go to Balfour Beatty and letters to landowners.  Action: Clerk

4.4  To receive views and comments from local residents
Thanks to Sue for opening up Rowlestone Village Hall.

The number of signs on the A465 are becoming dangerous. Action: Clerk to report to Balfour Beatty

Longtown Show and Down on the Farm signs still present Action: Clerk to contact groups

A465 resufacing work – There is still no cats eyes or white lines near Pontrilas saw mills. Action:  Clerk to contact Highways and request when this is being fixed

Mill Road Abbeydore / Bacton / Longtown.  The road is in very poor state of repair, with some very deep pot holes. There is on average an accident a week here.  Cllr Jinman has report this to Balfour Beatty.


5 To receive Clerk Update and to note Correspondence List
The Clerks update and correspondence list was noted.  There is a new locality officer at Balfour Beatty.  Action: Clerk to arrange a meeting.  Brexit workshop Cllr Overstall expressed an interest and will go.  Code of Conduct workshop 19th September in Leominster clerk will attend.









Dog Fouling & The Recreation Ground

A number of complaints have been received regarding dog fouling, dogs not on leads, and abusive dog owners.  This was discussed at some length.  The GPC would like to remind everyone that while this is a dog walking area dogs are meant to be kept on leads and mess cleaned up afterwards.  Action: Clerk to obtain quotes for new signs, and investigate the cost of red bin and green bin, and the cleaning / emptying there of. Also discussed a flyer campaign asking people to be responsible for their dogs.


To receive Recreation Ground Working Group update

The playground inspection has been completed.  Resolved the purchase of new seats for the jeep. 2 moles have recently been captured. Unanimously agreed for Ray Pritchard to cut the hedges.

Action: Agreed that a Recreation Ground Working Group meeting was needed to discuss issues raised.  Monthly checklists to be sent out.


8 To receive Kemble Working Group Update

No further update at present until the report from NHS England is available.


9 Lengthsman Scheme (incorporating the P3 scheme)

Lengthsman’s report was considered.  GPC discussed how they would like works to proceed and unanimously agreed that all works need to approval of Cllr Wrigglesworth before commencement. As part of this lengthsman will need to provide break down of costs before work can be approved.

Action:  Clerk to write to Mr Griffiths





Still awaiting Reg 16 approval.  Once this is done it will need to go to a referendum to be adopted.


11 Finance

10.1  To consider Finance Report for Approval – Approved

10.2  To consider approval for payment to CT Groundcare – Approved

10.3  To consider approval for payment to Pavilion Cleaning – Approved

10.4  To consider approval for payment to Terry Griffiths – Lengthsman – Held

10.5  To consider approval for payment to Diane Malley for first half year – Approved

10.6  To consider approval for payment to Fran White for ROSPA inspection – Approved

10.7 To consider approval for payment to Came & Company Local Council Insurance – Approved

10.8  To consider approval for payment of hedge cutting – Approved

10.9  To consider approval for payment of printer ink – Approved

10.10 To consider approval for payment of replacement jeep seat – Approved

10.11  Payments for approval – as per schedule below – Approved




Code of Conduct

Action:  Clerk to attend a workshop 19th September and report back next month.








Stewardship Agreement

GPC thank the Cricket Club for the cheque received for 12 months usage.  Cllr Probert was asked to approach other possible user groups.  Action: SP

Risk Assessment for the cricket pavilion needs to be checked.  Action: RGWG


Items for Newsletter

Newsletter needs to be completed ASAP.  Items to include police update, Dog issues, Fireworks, Introducing footpaths officer, Segonzac twinning.   Action: Clerk – Voluntary























None so far, Cllr Jinman requested that all councillors promote and look for new councillors.


Presentation of the Pacte d’amitie from Segonzac

Report will be shared on the website.  Cllr Overstall was thanked for going.

Action: A letter thanking the hosts to be sent. PJ & LO

Parish Precept

Parish Precept deadline is 31st December.  Finance Working Group meeting will need to be called in order to prepare for council. Action. FWG



P172720/F – Planning Permission

No concerns were raised but ask for the concerns of the Highways Agency to be considered.


Matters for Next Agenda (no discussion)

Rowlestone Telephone Box; Fireworks; Precept; Code of Conduct; Meeting in Dulas.  St Micheals Hall to be provisionally booked for next month. Action: LO & Clerk




A resolution was passed to exclude the public and press from discussions on the following item due to its confidential nature

Payee Item Total (inc. VAT) Total (exc. VAT) Budget
Miss C Griffiths Clerk’s salary for August 2017 – as per regular payment schedule and contract of employment To include:


NI EE £33.35

NI ER £37.80

To include:


NI EE £33.35

NI ER £37.80




Miss C Griffiths Postage / travel