October 2020 minutes

Serving Ewyas Harold, Rowlestone, Dulas and Llancillo

Tuesday 13th October 2020,
Finance Committee meeting: 6.45pm on Zoom

Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Clive Stainton (CS),
Sarah Eynon (SE);

Finance sheet had been circulated to all cllrs. Meeting started 6.45 pm
Meeting Notes
1. To accept apologies for absence.  None received.
2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.  None.
3. Consider notes of previous meeting
It was confirmed that the minutes were an accurate representation of the meeting.

4. Finance
Nat West Business Current account: 07.09.20 £ 32,746.11
Nat West Business Reserve account: 01.09.20 £ 55,150.31
4.1. To consider outstanding invoices
CT Groundcare: £ 668.00
Herefordsire Fire Protection Services Ltd £ 55.26
Mr & Mrs BE Chance (Rec loo cleaning) £ 450.00
Proposed: CS Seconded: SE

Recommend Payment all in agreement

Came & Company had sent an incorrect invoice to the PC, the clerk asked for support in payment for our insurance of up to £2,000, then when they invoice us the clerk can make the payment.
There is an outstanding invoice from the Lengthsman for the considerable work that has been done. MWg suggested that this would be in the region of £2,860 support was requested for the payment of up to £3,000 this month when the invoice was received.

Both of these payment requests were recommended for payment when the proper invoices had been received.
Proposed: CS Seconded: SE

4.2. To approve regular payments schedule and Direct Debits
Clerks salary and expenses; Welsh Water; SSE Electricity for KC and Pavilion.

Recommend the spending above.
Proposed:CS Seconded: SE

It was resolved to agree to all of these payments.

Proposed: Seconded: All were in agreement.
Each item was looked at as a separate item.

Monies received: Second half of the precept: £23,427.00

4.3. To review the 2020/21 budget and expenditure to date – all happy with the spending to date.

Action: Clerk to action these agreed payments.

5. Early repayment of the loan on the KC building.
The clerk had got a repayment schedule, this had been circulated to all cllrs. It was moved that making the early repayment of this loan was unfeasible given the penalties levied upon an early repayment.

6. To raise matters for the next agenda:
Clerk to prepare a pre briefing budget for the next meeting.

7. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 10th November 2020

The committee agreed with the cheques that were being submitted for authorisation and with their authorisation.

Meeting closed at 6.57pm

Parish Council meeting: 7.05pm on Zoom.

Draft Minutes

Meeting started: 7.03
Present: Councillors: Peter Jinman (PJ) (in the chair), Alex Culpin (AC); Malcolm Watkins (MW); Michael Wrigglesworth (MWg); Liz Overstall (LO); Clive Stainton (CS); Sarah Eynon (SE);Connor Price (CP); Sally Probert (SP) from 7.25;
Also: Sophie Glover (Clerk); Fiona Witcher; Angela Thoo; Carey Godwin (from 7.15pm) (ACCC) Karen Stanton (talk community) left the meeting after point 4.2. At 7.35pm.

1. To accept apologies for absence.
Stephen Clayton;

2. To receive declarations of interest & written requests for dispensation.
MWg– is working with the Lengthsman doing the road works, so he is working with the Lengthsman as a private individual including the hiring of him as a labourer and he has many machines that are of great asset to the jobs undertaken.

All cllrs were happy with this position.
AC on one of the planning items at agenda item 6.

3. To consider minutes of the previous meeting – 08.09.20. It was resolved that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting. The Chair will sign the minutes when able to.
Action: Chair to sign the minutes when there is a physical meeting again.

4. Matters arising: open forum
4.1 Matters arising have been actioned or are on the agenda apart from: Kissing gate on Pontrilas Court Farm;Site has been visited with the Land Steward, all agreed on the placement of a kissing gate, as long as there is no cost to the estate. The light pollution from the timber merchants – PJ to have a discussion with the management there, both for the timber yard and the Merchants site. MW asked for the trees on the left hand side of road to be cut back – there was a discussion as to whom the trees belonged, PJ will take this to the locality steward to try and get it fixed. Notice boards – Brandon has taken the board by the chip shop for its refurbishment. Lights out in the village and return them to the yellow lights – PJ has been having discussions about the lighting improved on the road down to the fire station, they have said that they will improve along the whole road. Noise from Neil Powell the builder: he will be planting trees in the next weeks to try and resolve the noise problems by creating a screen with the trees.

Action: PJ to talk with Locality Steward about the trees, and to Pontrilas Timber about their lighting.

4.2 To receive a brief report from the Ward Councillor/PC Chair.
PJ introduced Karen Stanton from Talk Community: he has asked CP to look at the Parish Resilience Plan.
KS: she covers the SW primary care hub area. She starts from the point of trying to keep people in their own homes for as long as possible before going into care. They offer a grant of up to £2,500 for the development of a ‘hub’ to reach out to parts of the community who are not currently being bought into community events. She guided people to a web site called WISH which held much information for all parishioners about where they could go to get further help and info.
LO asked about ‘Lets Talk’ community services checking if it was part of the same hub – whilst it isn’t, it is on the WISH website for further info.
PJ as Ward Cllr, said how sad it was to see the end of the Methodist church in the village, although the Kemble Centre had benefited from the furniture!
He is also pursuing flood issues in the village. He is awaiting the report from the Environment Agency on the flooding problems in Ewyas Harold – this is due in November.

Action:KS to pass her details onto the clerk and will circulate information as it comes.

4.3 To receive views of local residents on parish matters; None were put forward.

4.4 To receive a report from PCSO – Fiona Witcher and PC Geoff Rouse
No problems were raised by Parish Councillors, apart from SE talking about speeding through the village. PC Rouse had been on the Pontrilas Rd last week with a speed camera and caught a number of people – all locals. Clerk to ask about the price of getting some repeaters or getting 30mph marked on the road .
He reminded the meeting about the scam of people impersonating police officers with vulnerable people being hit particularly. He asked all cllrs to be aware and spread the word.
Action: Clerk to approach Ian Connolly about the speed limit being painted onto the road or more repeater signs.

4.5 To receive report from footpath officer – circulated to all.

5. Planning
a. To consider comments on applications to be determined by Herefordshire Council:
203025: Great Walkmill, Ewyas Harold: conversion of outbuilding to form a 3 bedroom house.
PJ had been to look at the site, he felt that it was the good use of a dilapidated building.
Proposed: That EHGPC supports the application. All cllrs were in favour.

203026: Great Walkmill, Ewyas Harold: listed building consent.

AC left the meeting:
202950: Pen-y-lan Farm, Pontrilas: Change of use of land from agricultural to glamping.
MW felt the plan looked well thought out, he proposed that the PC supported the application. MWg had no problems with the plans or the site, he was just a little concerned by people coming from cities to the country side, he hoped that suitable covid precautions were in place.
Proposed: That EHGPC Supports this application. All cllrs were in favour.
Action: Clerk to submit comments.
b. To note the applications determined by Herefordshire Council:
None to discuss

6. Planning white paper consultation.
PJ reminded the meeting that it is only a white paper, so it is there to be consulted upon. He suggested that people could respond as individuals.

7. Recreation ground/pavilion:
There needs to be a formal rota set for each cllr to do the checks.
MW has had conversations with MWg and SE; electrical work is underway. The grounds generally are in good condition. The toilets are also in good condition and are being cleaned every day, this means that the public are enjoying them being more desirable to use – there is a cost for cleaning them, but until the HC relax the Covid regulations for opening the public loos, we have to continue with the daily cleaning. LO suggested looking into the prevision of self cleaning toilets. MWg proposed a self contained stainless steel unit for the toilet – disabled friendly and easy to wash down with a hose.
Th Cricket pavilion window has been broken and needs fixing. MWg has the scalping for the car park in hand as well as fixing the swing.
One more grass cut before the end of the season is due.
Clerk has a meeting in a couple of weeks to look at outdoor gym equipment and zip wires – just to find out costs and reality of fitting them.
Action; Clerk to find some one to fix the window at the Cricket pavilion.
Action: MW to give some TLC to the toilets. There is a loose tap in one of the loos, this will be fixed.
PJ – the little gate that goes down to the river doesn’t close – or open properly. With the cattle and sheep going onto the ground having a gate that doesn’t work is not ideal.
Action: PJ will shovel the soil out of the way as a short term problem. In the spring, this and some of the fencing needs looking at.

8. Lengthsman
8.1 To receive an update and consider vital work required around the parish.
PJ thanked MWg and DR for their work on the ditches, grips and gullies along Pontrilas Road.
MW; asked for an update on the funding for this work. PJ confirmed that there was extra drainage funding for doing this work. PJ has asked John Harrington (Minister for roads) for specific funding for doing the work of Balfour Beatty.
LO and MWg talked about working on the Dulas Rd before winter sets in properly along with working at the Wiga Turning back in Rowlestone.
PJ passed the PC’s thanks on to the Lengthsman through MWg.

9. Kemble Centre
9.1 Update from working group :- AC and LO updated the meeting: the process has been held up as it was found that the Land Registry did not have the PC down as the owners of the KC. This is currently trying to be resolved by PJ, who was clear that we do own it, but that the Land Registry was delayed due to there being an area of land that when it was conveyed was incorrectly marked down on the deeds, this has caused the delay at the moment. The PC currently owns 1/3 of the entrance to the Drs surgery, he has proposed a peppercorn rent whilst the building is in public service, but should it be sold to the open market then there will need to be a further debate on the subject.
LO asked if we could produce a draft lease? The solicitor has said no we should not do any thing until this is sorted out.
MWg told the meeting that his son in law had replace the front door lock and key at no charge. He passed on his and the PC’s thanks for doing so.
Carey G has one of the keys whilst she and the ACCC team are sorting out the contents that are being stored there at the moment.
SP: do we have a full inventory for what is now in the KC? Yes, we are happy that there is nothing explosive stored there and as such our insurers are happy maintaining our premium at the same cost as last year. Contents insurance will become the responsibility of ACCC when they take over the lease.

Next steering group meeting is on Monday 19th October at 4.15pm.

10. Community Resilience Plan (CRP)
PJ had been asked if we had a CRP. Covid has precipitated the need for this, along with the flooding recently putting the village under some strain. PJ has approached CP to look at this along with LO.
CP: feels that a CRP is worthwhile, he wants to bring in mental health to the plan. PJ suggested linking in with the fire brigade as well – through their excellent work with the flood victims.
LO was looking at a ‘gardening for health’ group to work on the gardens at the KC.
Every one was happy with the idea and CP was asked to get on with it with LO.

11. Finance
11.1. Balance as in the Finance Committee minutes
11.2. To authorise payments to be made: As in the finance minutes.
11.3. To authorise regular payments: As in the finance minutes.

Proposed to make these payments: CS Seconded: MW All cllrs were in agreement.

Requested to make the un-invoiced payments: to be reviewed by the finance committee prior to payment.

Up to £3,000 for the Lengthsman for the work done this month so far.
Up to £2,000 for the insurance which has not yet been invoiced correctly.

All were in agreement with both of these payments.
Proposed: PJ Seconded: MW

Action: Clerk to make these payments and to forward the delayed invoices to the Finance Committee before making the final 2 payments.

11.4. Monies received: £23,427 2nd half of precept.

12. Road safety. Road safety improvements:
12.1 Sid update from clerk. PC were asked to give their permission for the SID site assessment to go ahead. This was willingly given, cllrs just wanted the assessment to start.
12.2 Letter to companies about speeding in the village. Clerk has sent out a list of local business and asked the cllrs for their own information ie MD’s names before the letter can be circulated.

13. Assisting dog owners with their responsibilities
SP and the clerk had identified 4 sites for the bins to be located the Memorial Hall, the Kemble Centre, the school, the end of Dark Lane. SP, CS and CP all offered to empty the bins and putting the bags in the HC wheelie bin at the rec.
The meeting authorised the clerk to purchase 4 bins for this.
Action: Clerk to order the bins and to continue to chase HC to see if they will empty the bins. Clerk to get permission from the Memorial Hall, SP to get permission from the School and CS to check with the KC insurance to make sure we can place a bin there. PJ to identify who owns the bank at Dark Lane.
MWg and LO both expressed concerns about digging with out knowing what services are underground, this was duly noted.

14. Railway station update: PJ informed the meeting that there was not much to report on this. There is a meeting with HC in the coming weeks to progress this.

15. To raise matters for the next agenda : no discussion: Zip line/adult gym on the rec;
Tractors causing road damage; telling people what we are doing in the parish – newsletter; Social media;
16. To note the date of the next scheduled meeting : 8th November 2020.

Meeting closed at 21.05

Signed:_________________________________ Date: ________________